Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Overgrown beauty

 

I watch television shows like Curb Appeal and wonder what the experts would say about ours.

Our house can’t easily be seen from the road, so the only curb appeal is this flower bed.

014

It is overgrown and weedy, but it still has some curb appeal.  Right?  The pampas grass started out as two small plants 5 or so years ago.  Now it needs some serious downsizing.  Just a short week ago the cone flowers to the right were in their glory.  Their little knobby heads still stand proud though.  I do believe a little weeding and mulching would quickly restore this flower bed to great curb appeal.

006

Anybody know what this purple flower is?  It has bloomed gloriously this year, with the crepe myrtle and black eyed susan’s as a backdrop!

Crepe myrtle flower and black eyed susan

The Crepe Myrtle is a bully, dominating all that surrounds it.

Storms just blew through again and now the sun is peeking through the trees.   It’s going to be another hot, muggy day.

   

Pink Crepe Myrtle bush

Whiskey is terrified of thunder.  Even though it is 9:00, he just now poked his head up suggesting he might want to go out.  We may call him “junk yard dog” but he is seriously such a chicken!

Whiskey in his dog bed

12 comments:

Akum said...

Junk Yard Dog, that's a cool name.

Funny in My Mind said...

Overgrown is a perfect description of my backyard.
Yours looks great!
My pup Molly hates thunder and wouldn't go out this morning without a swift push in the arse.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love your curb appeal and I think it looks great just like it is, I have no idea what the blue flower is Im not good with names I just like to see it grow lol

Its been so hot here that sadly some of my flowers have not done well and I have had to pluck lots of dead ones out of my lil flower bed I have :o( just breaks my heart!

I love your doggie he is just so cute, bless his heart for being scared of thunder, when it thunders here my dog jumps up wanting to know whos knocking around outside lol

I hope you are having a great week so far HUGS

Intense Guy said...

Given how marvelous your home looks - the lack of curb appeal really is that big a deal. :)

And the flower bed looks pretty nice - I love big coneflowers and blackeyed susans.

I think the blue flowers are a variety of some sort of Rocket Plant. Perhaps Sweet Rocket or Dame’s Rocket?

Anonymous said...

Our old female rottie is also petrified of thunder and searches for me as soon as she hears it. I snuggle with her to reassure her all is okay.

Poor pups.

Di

Anonymous said...

GAH... typed comment but was logged into wrong gmail account... anyhoo..

Wanted to say that our old female rottie also suffers from being scared of thunder and immediately searches for me to console her.

Poor pups.

Di

Vicki Lane said...

The purple flower looks like butterfly bush (buddleia) to me. But that's a shrub and gets quite tall.

Whatever it is, your flowers are lovely!

AliceKay said...

Beautiful flower garden. Lots of different flowers and plants with lots of different colors. I would say it definitely has "curb appeal".

I've been watering my flowers every night so my flower beds are looking pretty nice. Some plants have gone thru their blooming cycles and others are in their prime. :)

Poor Whiskey. I sympathize with him. We've had terrible storms go all around us today and again tonight, and I'm wondering when the clouds will release their fury down on us. (i've been taking pics again)

Rita said...

Flower always, always have curb appeal. ;)

I had two chihuahuas when I was a kid. The male especially shook through entire thunderstorms and the 4th of July. Our little female WAS a tiny junk yard dog when protecting her puppies. Chased a big black lab all the way down the block that dared step in our yard when her babies were playing outside with me.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Hi, just wanted to let you know that a Missouri blogger was here! Love your photos. I think your curb appeal is very appealing! Your flowers are very pretty. I will enjoy reading your blog.

Cheryl

Rural Rambler said...

Good Morning Deanna! I just got back from a walk, gonna be hot again today but they say relief is in sight for us. We can only hope :) I think that flower bed is very pretty. I love the look of old coneflowers after they have done their thing.

junyah said...

That blue flower looked familiar and so i had to use the ole computer to see if i was close, its a member to the lilac's

Syringa (Lilac) is a genus of about 20–25 species of flowering woody plants in the olive family (Oleaceae), native to woodland and scrub from southeastern Europe to eastern Asia.[1][2][3][4]

Dogs are sometimes affair of thunder showers, i think the thunder hurts thier ears. hell i dont care for thundershowers myself . lol The flower bed look great dont touch it . HUgs U JR