Sunday, July 11, 2010

Treat ‘em like a friend

The bare white wall behind my stove has always bothered me.  Since it is Formica, I hesitate to hang anything that requires nails.  I’ve thought if I found the right thing, double sided tape would do the trick – but I’ve never found anything I thought was right… until today.

wall behind stove with live laugh love applique  

We were checking out all of the fun stuff on sale at Kohl's, knowing that I had my trusty little additional 15% off coupon.  Out of the blue we  happened on to a display of appliqués.  But we just didn’t see any the right size, or with the right quote.  Then it happened.  Jim rummaged towards the back of the display and found it.  Live Laugh Love.  My dictum.  Live Laugh and Love.  And I’m lovin’ it! (And yes, I have a thing for old salt and pepper shakers).

I have a friend with me at all times.  No matter where I go, this friend tags along.  Changing personalities and clothes quite often, this friend always entertains, sometime scares, amuses, educates, makes me laugh and cry. I’ll have to admit I occasionally don’t enjoy this friend’s company and do a little switcheroo.  But all in all – I love my friend.

002

My books are my friend.  As a child I was always admonished to take great care with my books.  Don’t lay them open – always use a bookmark.  Turning down a corner to mark where we had left off together was taboo. 

 

Somehow that just doesn’t seem right to me.  It didn’t then and it doesn’t now.  If I’m visiting with someone else’s friend, then I’m more cautious.  It doesn’t pay to get too familiar if it isn’t yours.  But with my own friends, I like to curl up and get comfy.  I like the wrinkles and creases and smudges that prove we’ve been enjoying ourselves together.

Some of my favorite authors are Diana Gabaldon,  Ken Follett, Jeffrey Archer, Maeve Binchy, and Nicholas Sparks.  There are many more but these readily come to mind. 

Recently I’ve found another favorite friend.  Vicki Lane.

003

I’ve been visiting her blog, Vicki Lane Mysteries, for a few months now.  It is always an interesting read.  Sometimes she has a lot to say, sometimes, just a photo and a sentence or two. 

Finally, my fascination got the best of me and I had to read her books.  I was so confident that I was going to enjoy them – I ordered the entire series, including the one coming out this Fall.  I’m such a smart lady! 

The setting for her stories are the Appalachian Mountains – a place of fascination.  As I read the stories, I can hear the music of Emmy Lou Harris singing the Appalachian Waltz.  I can see in my mind the beauty of the youth, and the weathered faces of the hill people – sometimes in honesty, and other times in deceit.  She gives glimpses into how things were and in some cases still are.  If you get a chance to read Vicki Lane’s book, jump at it.

I really do treat my books as a comfortable inanimate friend (although the books do have life to me).  Anyhow, I was soaking in my awesome claw foot tub, reading the first in the series of Viki Lane’s books, Art’s Blood, and came upon this passage.  The main character, Elizabeth Goodweather, was contemplating the facts of a murder…

“She stretched out a foot and turned the tarnished brass tap, letting a little more hot water into the tub.  A soak in the tub before bed was one of her greatest pleasures.  Usually she brought a book with her and read till the water became too cool or till she dozed off.  Occasionally her book would dip into the water as  her eyes  drifted shut, but she had made it a rule never to read borrowed books in the bathtub.  Once wet, a book was never quite the same.  It would eventually dry out, but always in a puffed-up, outsize version of its former self.”

I had to chuckle to be reading that passage as I was soaking in my tub, reading.

Do you like to read?  What is your favorite type of book?  Do you have a favorite author?  Do you treat your books with great respect or do you abuse them like I do, taking them for granted like an old friend?  I really want to know!

17 comments:

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

Love your new motto in the kitchen.
If you love Appalachian Mountains reading, check this out: http://hopalonghollowgazette.blogspot.com/
I ordered one of her children books, they are so beautifully illustrated. She even personalized it for the kids.

Anonymous said...

Oooh, that's MY dictum too. I have it on a plaque above the hallway door. A gift from my daughter.

DI

Janet said...

The saying on the wall looks great!

I'm very careful with books usually, my own or borrowed. But I do have a couple favorites that are well worn, written in, creased, and so on.

betty said...

love that quote and it looks great on the wall!! loved your friends too, always great to have a book close by to pick up and read and spend some time in. Reading does open up so much opportunity to learn new things, lose ourselves in a good story, etc.

I'll have to check out Vicki Lane as I'm not familiar with her as an author, but enjoyed that "snippet" you included here

I do like to read. I like current day fiction; like Elizabeth Berg, Jodi Picoult, Debbie Macomber, Belva Plain, Maeve Binchy, Danielle Steele.

I do treat my books with respect. Most of them we get from the library so I definitely am kind with them

I do write in my Bible insights as I read it from God or my thoughts or something a pastor has said but otherwise I don't write in books

nice entry Deanna :)

betty

Intense Guy said...

I'm glad Jim has sharp eyes! That applique is perfection.

I read just about anything. I treat books well - they are too expensive to be ill-treated - and if they are library books, they aren't mine to start with.

My favorite type of book is one where, I start reading and everything around me fades away to a quiet greyness - and then hours later, I finish the last page without having stopped at all. This doesn't happen often - I think Tolkien's "The Hobbit" was the last time... Tom Clancey's "Ed Storm Rising" was another -

I glance at my stack of things to be read and see Ken Follet, Stephen King, Tom Clancy, one of Agatha Christie's "Hercule Poirot", James Herriot's "All Creatures Great & Small", a user manual for Cessna Citation business jet (the chapter on changing tires had me spellbound), Dorkys Ramos' Latina magazine, and a 1912 Reading Railroad employee's "in-house" magazine.

If I had a Ford Model T or a John Deere Tractor (any model) owners manual, I'd read that too.

(and in the bathroom too).

:)

Flat Creek Farm said...

Awesome decals! And a wonderful, perfect motto. I shopped at Kohl's today also.. online.. because ol' hermit here didn't want to leave the place by myself :) I love Kohl's!

I'm not a big reader anymore, but I do love audiobooks - I listen during my commute. I wish I had the attention span necessary to actually *read*. What happened to me? I used to be a bookworm in my younger days! Happy reading!! -Tammy

Rita said...

Books! Books! Always treated with reverence and care...just as my old friends are. ;) I cannot bring myself to write in a book. Couldn't even highlight in college. Tried it once and I still feel guilty--even if I sold the book back. I bought new books whenever possible because it broke my heart to see them defaced--even if I knew I wasn't going to keep it after I was done with the class.

My son, who was often with me for the college book-buying (because of my bum arm and he'd help me carry them home) would help me thumb thru the whole stack of used books if no new ones were available to find the one with no markings and a good cover or the very closest to new condition we could locate in the used stack. He's used to me--tolerates my OCD tendencies, obviously--ROFL! (He could have cared less about his own college books.) People really do totally trust me to lend their books to. I also fill out a post-it note on the inside cover of the books I borrow so as to never forget where they came from and I usually try to read them the very first so I can return them as promptly as possible.

I have four bookcases with books in my one-bedroom apartment. My cleaning girl has been keeping me in an endless supply of chick mystery series, so I always have one of those going. Light reading and easy to put down--but because of my returning borrowed books compulsion, I have been mostly reading those for over a year--maybe going on two! She keeps bringing me more when I get low! I am currently trying to break my compulsion so that I can read other things as well. Right now I am sinking into The Pillars of The Earth for a second time before I read the sequel. Break the chick mystery cycle--break the cycle...

I know--I have issues. But--you asked--ROFL! ;)

Rita said...

New decal--I have a rubber stamp with that quote and have always greatly favored the concept. Looks perfect there!

Books! Books! Always treated with reverence and care...just as my old friends are. ;) I cannot bring myself to write in a book. Couldn't even highlight in college. Tried it once and I still feel guilty--even if I sold the book back. I bought new books whenever possible because it broke my heart to see them defaced--even if I knew I wasn't going to keep it after I was done with the class.

My son, who was often with me for the college book-buying (because of my bum arm and he'd help me carry them home) would help me thumb thru the whole stack of used books if no new ones were available to find the one with no markings and a good cover or the very closest to new condition we could locate in the used stack. He's used to me--tolerates my OCD tendencies, obviously--ROFL! (He could have cared less about his own college books.) People really do totally trust me to lend their books to. I also fill out a post-it note on the inside cover of the books I borrow so as to never forget where they came from and I usually try to read them the very first so I can return them as promptly as possible.

I have four bookcases with books in my one-bedroom apartment. My cleaning girl has been keeping me in an endless supply of chick mystery series, so I always have one of those going. Light reading and easy to put down--but because of my returning borrowed books compulsion, I have been mostly reading those for over a year--maybe going on two! She keeps bringing me more when I get low! I am currently trying to break my compulsion so that I can read other things as well. Right now I am sinking into The Pillars of The Earth for a second time before I read the sequel. Break the chick mystery cycle--break the cycle...

I know--I have issues. But--you asked--ROFL! ;)

Rural Rambler said...

Love your dictim, works for me too. Specially the laugh part :) And yeah I love books and generally try to treat them well. I collect children's books beacause I love illustrations. I don't know what I would do without books!

AliceKay said...

The applique was a great find. It looks great there on your wall. The salt and pepper shakers highlight it well, too.

I used to love to read books when I was a kid and up until I was a young adult, but then life kinda took over and other things seemed more important. I always treat books well. I'll slip a piece of paper in between pages instead of folding over corners. My reading now is basically the daily newspaper, blogs, emails, and internet websites and research pages.

Have a great day!

junyah said...

I like the signage over the stove,i had an aunt that collected salt and pepper shakers, she had a thing in the living room of her house it was full of em. The only book i've been involed in since i left high school is the phone book, BUT, i do want to always be your friend. For always and foever.. (one of these days i'm going to post a new blog promise !!) HUGS U JR

Toriz said...

I try and look after my books. Sometimes they get a bit battered - especially if I've read them a lot - but I don't read in the tub, because I don't want to get the books wet, and I never, NEVER fold back pages! I'd rather have to search for my place again than do such a thing!

As for what I read... EVERYTHING!

My favourite authors are (in no particular order):

Jean M Auel
Michelle Paver
J K Rowling
Roald Dahl
Charles Dickens
Jill Murphy
Enid Blyton
Kim Harrison
Dick King-Smith
Bonnie Bryant

But I also enjoy many other authors.

I could easily manage without my phone.
I could easily manage without my laptop or a PC.
I could easily manage without the radio.
But I couldn't manage without my books!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Gotta love that Kohl's!!! The decal looks great in your kitchen. Loved your take on the books. I always keep a book handy. Now, girl I just read 'safe sex'.....just cracked me up! Heeehehehe. I'm not suppose to be doin' anything but shhhhh, I just had to pop in and see what you were up to.

God bless ya and enjoy this beautiful day. I really feel like summer is passin' me by plagued with these dang shingles.

Funny in My Mind said...

I love to read all kinds of books although I tend to lean toward humor and mysteries.
I turn down the corners to mark my place sometimes.
I love the new sticker.
We have a Wish It- Dream It- Do It plaque at work.

jewelzmomof4 said...

Mom that looks great in the kitchen!!! I love to read Nora Roberts and Nicholas Sparks and a few others. Anything with a good mystery or a good tear jerker and I am in heaven. I guess I learned from you then because I love books but like you I love them all worn and used. They are my comfort and when they are crisp and new they are nice to have but once I add my creases and smudges they seem more comfortable in my hand lol. Sounds silly but....that is how I like them. Luckily my Mother and Mother In-Law (i borrow all their books lol)like their books like I do.

Vicki Lane said...

Where'd my comment go? I visited when this was first up and left a comment right after Flat Creek Farm -- oh well, mysterious are the ways of Blogger.

Anyway. I love your kitchen motto and was thrilled and honored to see what you are reading. Too cool that you were in the tub when you read that passage!

I hope you enjoy them all! And many thanks for spreading the word!

Anonymous said...

Im so sorry punkn I dont know how I let this post get past me :o(

I am with you I do NOT fold over the pages in my books, I love my bookmarks. I have that very same book about the 10,000 garden questions, got it at a yardsale lol

I do love my books I have 3 bookshelves full of them and I will probably die before I can read them all. I have a couple of old ones that I have and one of them even came with a note in it that was gifted to someone I will blog about that soon so that you can see what I mean.

I hope you are having a good week so far and I love that thingy for over your stove I love that phrase anyways and I think it is cool that you collect salt shakers :o)