Sunday, October 10, 2010

Following my instincts

 

I am a self professed book worm – always have been and always will be.  If you give me a chance to go shopping for clothes or go shopping for books, books will win out every time. 

Ever since Vicki Lane mentioned the movie Song Catcher in one of her posts, I’ve been wanting to see it again.  Since it is one that I want included in my very limited library of DVD’s, and it was nowhere to be found in the stores, it made sense to order it from Barnes and Nobles.  Yes, I know I could have ordered it online, but then I would not have had an excuse to go to a bookstore!

While there the children’s book section beckoned me.  Since we were headed to Greg and Alicia’s that evening, I decided to buy Allan and Reagan some books.  Reagan seemed to really like her Mother Goose book.  For Allan, there were The Magic Tree House chapter books.  Would he like them?  There was only one way to find out.

allan reading

The answer appears to be a resounding YES!  Greg sent me this picture along with a note that said “He read that book at the auction in the car at nap time and at the restaurant and can recite everything that happened” 

I sure am glad I followed my instincts.

side board cabinet

An Amish woodworker, Mose, lives right down the road from Greg and Alicia.  The piece in the above picture is a piece Mose is making for our daughter, Tessa’s, kitchen.   Mose made all of the cabinets and a few pieces of furniture for Greg’s house.  Greg learned early on that Mose gets distracted easily and, although he does really nice work, you have to stay on him if you want your furniture. 

Ever since I inherited my mother’s china and other family heirlooms, I’ve wanted another china cabinet.  Yes, it is true I already have two… but that is beside the point.  We talked about going to the furniture store and just picking out something we liked.  But then we followed our instincts and commissioned Mose to make us a custom piece.  I am so glad we did!

china cabinet

Here it is, ready to be stained and glass put in the front and on the sides.  I’m very pleased with how it has turned out.  We gave the order to Mose in May.  It “only” took him 5 months to get it done.  Greg finally started bugging Mose  on a regular basis, otherwise I’m sure it still would be in the planning stages.  It is exactly what we wanted and worth the wait.

Since the Amish frown upon having their pictures taken, I usually don’t take my camera with me.  This time, though, I followed my instincts and did.  You just never know when a photo opportunity might present itself.  I am so glad I did. 

020

While I was waiting, these precious barefoot children walked across the road towards the field, intent on filling their bags with some unknown treasures.

027

    

And this little tyke, holding his doll, waved to us as we went on our way.  There is definitely some golden colors off in the distance.  That Missouri road trip of ours is going to have to happen very soon!

I hope everyone has a great 10-10-10.  For an interesting take on 10-10-10, click on the Vicki Lane link that I posted earlier.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow I had not even thought about the date that way lol Those pieces of furniture is just so beautiful!! Mose is a very talented man for sure what a wonderful gift he has indeed. I loved the picture of the little children they are so cute and it makes it even better that they are in their Amish clothes. I think it is wonderful that you did stop and look at books for your Grandkids, I love it when kids love to read, my hubbys kids were like that when they were younger too. I hope you have a good week HUGS

Anonymous said...

He certainly makes some nice pieces and that one for your daughter would look fabulous in my kitchen too!

Di

junyah said...

i'D Love to be able to make funiture same as that guy, they are great at what they do.I Have the tools to make it with,but its like owning the best guitar made, you still have to be able to play it.Reading isnt one of my best hobbies. About the only thing i read besides other peoples blogs ,is my E Mail . LOl Hey HUgs you .. JunYah

Vicki Lane said...

Wonderful cabinet and what beautiful pictures!

Intense Guy said...

You got excellent instincts.

:)

Those photos of Amish kids are wonderful!

...and handmade furniture is family heirloom stuff... You got a big family so you really need three china cabinets. :)

AliceKay said...

Great idea with the books for the kids. I'm glad Allen enjoyed his book as much as he did. :)

Amish made furniture is some of the best furniture out there. My sister Linda just received a big dining room table and china cabinet that she had ordered from an Amish place in Lancaster several months ago. When I stopped at her house after work yesterday, she showed them to me. Beautiful workmanship. I'm sure your china cabinet will be around for a long time.

And you're right about the Amish frowning on having their pictures taken. I snuck (or is that sneaked?) a picture of a young couple walking down the street to the hospital in Towanda one day this summer. Your pictures are sweet and show the children's innocence.

The foliage is almost at peak here. I took lots of pictures today of some of our area. Some trees, tho, are already bare. I hope you take that road trip soon. Your area is also pretty spectacular.

betty said...

that is a beautiful piece of furniture; I am sure it was worth the wait! great instinct to know the right type of book to get for your grandson! cute picture of the little Amish boy and girl :)

betty

Rita said...

The picture of Allen reading is priceless! Love seeing new young book readers. :)

The furniture looks absolutely worth the wait, for sure. And the photos of the children are so sweet and capture the fall, too. Lovely post. :)

Rural Rambler said...

Deanna beautiful furniture! I am glad you followed your instincts because those pictures of the Amish are a treat to look at! CH gave me a Nook for my birthday and I was afraid we would go broke with me filling it up with books AND that I wouldn't buy real books or go to bookstores anymore. But I still love going to B&N and the library :) I love books too. Enjoy this beautiful Monday!

Funny in My Mind said...

Both of those pieces of furniture are beautiful.
We went to Leadmine out here to have a new mantle made (yes, it took a long time!!) and we had our pergola built by them, brought here, put together, stained and finished on site. Such quality.
I have always loved reading and my kids inherited it from me although there doesn't ever seem to be enough time anymore.
I cannot wait to see where you go for roadtrip 2010, maybe to see me?
I have some Missouri wine and a nice yard to sit in.

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

Oh My Gosh, I love those cabinets. I can see them both filled with antique dishes, holiday treasures mixed it, maybe some dollies, a few wickless candles, so cool!
I will have to check out those books for Brady too.
Love those Amish pictures too.

Tonia said...

I would MUCH rather go shopping for books than clothes any day.. Clothes are so .. well depressing sometimes!Lol..
Beautiful woodworking. I know the Amish here take a while on their things like that. But its mostly because they are on a list a mile long.

Toriz said...

Yes, always go with your instincts!

What's not to love about books? :)

I'm with you... I'd much rather go to book stores than any other store!

Steve Skinner said...

It appears that you hired a master craftsman; and they can never be rushed.

Queenie Jeannie said...

Super gorgeous furniture!!!! I wouldn't want to have anything that nice until AFTER we stopped traveling around the world. Everything gets so dinged up with every move and it's heartbreaking. Your piece is definitely worth the wait!!

Gorgeous photos!

Flat Creek Farm said...

That photo of the Amish children should be framed! Just precious! Mose builds some extremely nice pieces. Oh, and you reminded me about the Songcatcher movie. I've never seen the entire thing, but yes, better put that on my limited dvd list too. It's a keeper! Cute pic of your little Allan - he appeared completely engrossed in that book. Gma, you did good! -Tammy

MarmiteToasty said...

I love everything about the Amish, and when I was in the states the first time and came across the Amish, I almost became a stalker LOL.... I love the simple life they lead, I think I would fit in there...

oh how I wish I lived amongst them :)

I do have the most beautiful amish cook book with the most gorgeous photos of the amish community, I take it out the cookbook cupboard and browse through it when I need an amish fix...... the furniture is just beautiful.....

x

MarmiteToasty said...

ps...... if I got a choice between clothes food or book shopping, well, books would win out everytime....

I remember a teacher at my junior school knowing what family life was like at home.... but back in those days people didnt intervene, but what he did say to me were words that I remember for ever.... he said.....

if you can read you will never be alone in this world cos you can escape to wherever you want to be....

x