Tuesday, October 19, 2010

oOmPa

Jim and I and our friends, Patti and Gerard, took off for the wild west of Missouri this past weekend.  Tradition had us starting the journey with a small glass of champagne.
Champain toast
We did a lot of stuff, from digging up a riverboat, to quality testing wineries, to spelunking, shearing sheep, to organ grinding.  We were busy!

We were in the little town of Weston in Northwest, MO.   And lo and behold Organ Grinders from far and wide were gathering!  The sounds were old time and at times deafening.  It was such fun.
Patti and Deanna acting crazy
Everyone was amazingly friendly and they all came with their own monkeys.  I was disappointed that not a single organ grinder had a real monkey.
Organ grinder lady with monkey puppet
Don’t blink when watching this video.  It is incredibly short and cracks me up every time I watch it.  Jim and Patti are trying to get Gerard to do what I refer to as “the oompa”.  Gerard is the reserved one on our bunch (next to me of course).  You can hear me shouting “go, GO!”.  Jim is laughing so hard that he can hardly do it.  We were all shocked when Gerard actually started going up and down.  Then Patti is like “Oh Sh*#, he’s doing it!  So she jumps in.  By that time Jim is laughing so hard that he bails out.  I hope you find it as funny as I did – if not, then it was one of those “You had to be there moments”.
Oompa
Here’s to an oompa kind of day for you.  More trip moments coming up soon.

11 comments:

Rita said...

This really gave me a giggle!
Have an oompa day!!! :):):)

Funny in My Mind said...

First of all, red is your color- you look fantastic!
I never knew there were so many fun/quirky things to do in this show me state.
I hate monkeys so I am glad they were pretend.
Looks like a great time with good friends!

AliceKay said...

I giggled, too. :D

It looks like the four of you had a great time and shared lots of laughs. Can't wait to see and hear more about your trip. :)

betty said...

I love your tradition of starting the trip with champagne!

too cute with the organ grinders!! I bet that was fun to see!

Amazing what you all did on your trip! I can't wait to hear about it all, especially the shearing of the sheep!!

betty

Vicki Lane said...

You all are too cute!

Rural Rambler said...

You two, or four, find the coolest places to go in our state! And the top picture, you all look wonderful and just like you are the best of friends! Glad you had fun and yeah the video is funny! Lookin' forward to more!!

Intense Guy said...

Hey, I'll Oompa with them!

Whadabummah.. no real monkey grinders... Guess they want to get paid too much - and the price of bananas these days...

Toriz said...

Sounds like you had a great trip.

I know why nobody had a real monkey... It's illegal in most countries nowadays. The owners of Monkey World and various other similar places have fought to get it that way.

Anonymous said...

Your trip sounds fun and the video spoke for itself LOL thanks for sharing HUGS

AliceKay said...

I love the new photos in your header. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm chuckling over this movie! What a fun time and great memory.

DI