Friday, November 25, 2011

Just a chair…

How many of us are vowing to start exercising after our wonderfully, over-the-top, calorie loaded, Thanksgiving Day?  Are we checking out Black Friday exercise equipment offerings today?  Or maybe looking into getting a gym membership for a Christmas present. 
When I was a little girl my Grandma would sometimes stay with us.  Grandma was getting older and a little thick around the waist.  My ever health conscious mom was doing everything she could to keep her from gaining any more weight.  We’d line up chairs across the living room floor, one for each of us, and turn on the old green tube television to exercise with Jack LaLanne. 

jack-lalanneHere was this muscular guy with what sounded like an accent to me, in a jump suit and ballet slippers, urging us to get up off the couch and MOVE!  We’d stand behind our chair and kick our legs.  Then hold on while doing deep knee bends.  Then we’d sit on the chair and pull our legs in, kick out, lift and hold… The funniest was the face contortions to firm up the face muscles.  No face lifts for this generation.    
He’d say things like “Anything in life is possible if you make  it happen” and “The food you eat today is walking and talking tomorrow”.  Apparently he was onto something about how to live, since he lived to the ripe old age of 96.
Last weekend, when grandson Dakota was with us, I fixed all of the wrong things – bagels, fried foods, lots of potatoes, and *horrors* bought ice cream.  Central Dairy Muddy Waters ice cream.  For those of you who are not from this area do not know what you are missing.  Central Dairy Ice Cream is the best ever!  Anyway, I told Dakota that Grandpa and I needed to get back into the habit of going to the gym.  He couldn’t believe his grandparents have a gym membership at all… which got me to thinking about how my parents and grandparents exercised, which got me to thinking about Jack Lalanne and our fun afternoons in the living room.  It’s strange how the mind works – or at least how my mind works.  Now if I could just get my body moving in as many different directions and as quickly as my mind.
No, I haven’t gone back to the gym (yet), and the kitchen chairs are still where the belong, pushed in under the kitchen table.  But you just never know when motivation will hit. 
Dakota and Whiskey laying in front of wood stove
In the meantime, I think I’ll join Dakota and Whiskey on the floor, relaxing in front of the wood stove.  Move over guys, I’m coming in.

8 comments:

Rita said...

I can't really exercise anymore, but even when I could I wasn't ever good at sticking with it--LOL! I've always been a more sit in front of the fireplace kind of girl. ;)

betty said...

I don't remember my mom exercising per se like we do, going to the gym, but she walked everywhere because we didn't have a car and she cleaned people's houses, She was a bit overweight because she liked her bread and pasta. When she got working as a nanny with a family that didn't eat a lot of bread, she dropped weight pretty quick!

I'm on a stead committment of 5 times a week to the gym these days and I can tell a difference in my weight and how I feel.

But I got to say it amazes me Jack LaLanne is still around these days. Maybe there is something in those exercises he would have people do!

betty

Flat Creek Farm said...

I still think Jack is/was the best!! That picture at the end is truly priceless. Is it raining in your neck o' the woods today?? Would be a perfect day for that "activity!" -Tammy

AliceKay said...

I have a cute little image in my head of you doing your exercises along with Jack LaLanne. :)

I'm not in the best of shape, and I know I need more exercise...and I'm eating a piece of cherry pie as I type this. :p

Cute picture of Dakota and Whiskey. I love the "Beware of Attack Chihuahua" sign on the wall above Whiskey's dishes. LOL

Vicki Lane said...

I need ol Jack to come over and inspire me -- till then, the new pup's walks will be my exercise.

Queenie Jeannie said...

Now snuggling sounds MUCH better!!! I hope you had a terrific Thanksgiving!!

Only four more days til pre-order!! I've got my list and I've checked it twice....I'm naughty, but getting nice prezzies, lol!

Intense Guy said...

When my flab starts walking its okay with me... but when it starts talking I gotta draw the line...

:)

I did a mile walk this lunch hour... I was so peacock proud!

Now to get another mile in somehow - but that roasty toasty fireplace looks sooooooooooo inviting!

Toriz said...

The best kind of exercise is the kind that's disguised as a fun activity with the family. :)