Saturday, June 21, 2008

More pictures

We planted this cactus plant several years in the flower bed down by the road. It was just a tiny little plant and look at it now! Two years later the plant has quadrupled in size and has beautiful flowers.














The flower bed itself needs some TLC. The drought last year killed off quite a few of my perennials and I didn't get them replanted this year. Ironically, it has been too wet LOL. The cactus plant of course survived the drought - now I'll have to wait and see if it survives all of this moisture.






Mom and dad gave me this Clematis for my birthday ten years ago. Every year I can't wait to see how pretty it is going to be. The hummingbirds just love it. I've seen my share of butterflies drinking from its nectar too.





This is a picture of our house and the brick walkway leading to it. (See my kitty cat, Baby?) I'm not sure if you can tell by looking, but the house is Log. We designed and built the house ourselves 27 years ago. We bought lengths of log from a log company and cut them to size using a chain saw. About ten years ago Jefferson City did a lot of street work and had to dig up some of the old brick streets. They dumped the bricks in a private landfill. Each day we would let them dump and then we'd pull them back out (no, they wouldn't just let us get them direct from them - sigh - so we got permission from the landfill owner to retrieve them). We used the bricks to lay the sidewalk from the upper drive down to the house. Pretty cool, huh.

8 comments:

ChicagoLady said...

That Clematis is beautiful! And I would love a log cabin. (Got a spare room? I don't take up much room, lol)

Deanna said...

lol lady.. as a matter of fact we have a room we call The Cave... Jopete claimed it as his and charged rent.. it has been rather lonely lately... The room is in the downstairs - no windows - everyone always oversleeps when they stay here lol

Karla said...

prickly pear! Wowsa...that grows wild here...but the flowers, when they turn to fruit (and yes they will) makes the best jelly you have ever tasted!!

AliceKay said...

Nice home you have there, Punkn. Karen and I looked at your blog yesterday but I never took the time to comment.

Deanna said...

Wow Karla. I didn't know what the cactus was called and I sure didn't know the fruit was good for anything! I'll have to try making jelly. What have I to lose?!
And thanks AK. We like it here. As we all know, though - home is wear the heart is.

LadyStyx said...

Ooooohs and aaaaaahs over the pictures. Man, I ~LOVE~ that house!!

Intense Guy said...

Oh, prickly pear. I like looking at 'em but those things are beast when you need to work around them! I don't think they like me. LOL

The purple flower is really nice! (see... someone is corrupting me, I'm calling them "purple flowers" instead of there names now!)

The brick and how it got to your place is another great story, much like the window in your loft.

Umm.. just so you know, Chicago Lady will have lots and lots of Lainie's stuff... so she'll need room in that cave of yours.

Lainie said...

Absolutely gorgeous. You're a very lucky lady! I LOVE log houses. And your garden is beautiful.