Monday, June 2, 2008

Thoughts

What a wonderful world the Internet has opened up to all of us. I have met so many wonderful people while sitting at my keyboard - people I would never otherwise have had the chance to meet.
I think what I like most about meeting people over the internet is that I am able to get to know a person without all the filters I normally use, such as looks, where they live, what they do for a living, bad habits, and on and on and on... I've found that by the time I get around to finding out the details, my friends' heart and soul and true personalities have already shown through and the warts just don't matter. One of my best friends was an "old hippie" who continued to smoke marijuana until he died. In real life I would have run the other way, rather than become friends with a "druggie". What a shame that would have been. I have another friend who is an alcoholic. Again, in real life I would never have gotten to know this wonderful person because of all the filters I use.
Of course on the internet people lie and take advantage of others, just like in real life. I've had it happen to me and I know others have had it happen to them. On several occasions I've sent people money or paid their ISP bill so they could stay online. Only once was I "burned" by doing that. If a person is lying or taking advantage of me, it shows eventually and I chalk it up to experience and move on. Overall the good experiences have far outweighed the bad.
I don't chat very much anymore. I guess it has lost its magic for me. I feel bad about that because at some level I feel like I have abandoned people who I consider friends. But my heart is just no longer in it. Nowadays when I go into a chat room I feel like a stranger who has happened into a party that is in full swing - or I feel like I have entered a morgue because the room is empty... Yea, I still miss my buddy Pete lol, no matter what time I finally came online, he was there waiting for me.
This has been a rambling blog, prompted by reading other blogs. We are all dealing with real issues in our lives. We've been sharing each other's happiness and sadness. So, thank you my internet friends. Even though I'm not online very much anymore, I hold you all dear in my heart.

9 comments:

Intense Guy said...

*Hugs his internet friend Punkn*

I'm glad our paths have crossed, even if it is only in a virtual fashion - the impact you have on my life however, is *not* virtual in any sense.

I "see" someone who is dynamic, smart, musically gifted, talented with her hands and blessed with an eye for color and life's lovely moments.

I also "see" someone battling with common (by that I mean they are shared by a lot of people) difficulties as well as not so common ones...and doing so in a fashion many (including me) would do well to emulate.

Be well -

AliceKay said...

As do you to all of us, Punkn. *hugs*

LadyStyx said...

Well said. Very well said. I, too, am not in nearly as much as I used to be much for the same reason...the magic is pretty much lost. There's only a very few in the rooms that I care to even chat with and I try my hardest to be there for them when I can. Those that mean the most to me...well I know where to find ya'll. If I dont have an email then I certainly have a blog addy for ya. Thanks for being one of those that I give a damn to keep up with. *HUGZ*

ChicagoLady said...

I feel lucky to have "met" you punkn. You would always come in to chat with a good attitude and a smile on your face. I love your sense of humor and your love for your friends.

I may not update my blog as often as I should, but I am grateful for all my friends that come there wanting to hear how I'm doing.

sexy41 said...

I am so glad we got to know each other punkn. We live our lives a bit differant but found out by chatting we have so much in common. I miss those evening when it was late and I came in and there was Jopete and you there to chat with. I do enjoy when you do pop into chat once in awhile. Lately been busy trying to stream but still not there yet.

Hugs

Deanna said...

*huge hugs* to all of you. I've so enjoyed getting to know each of you and enjoy reading the blogs - no matter how often they are updated! *whispers to sexy, you need to start blogging...* If there is anything I can do to help you get the stream going sexy, just let me know. But since you already have all the experts on it, I can't imagine what it would be!!!!!

Deanna said...

*huge hugs* to all of you. I've so enjoyed getting to know each of you and enjoy reading the blogs - no matter how often they are updated! *whispers to sexy, you need to start blogging...* If there is anything I can do to help you get the stream going sexy, just let me know. But since you already have all the experts on it, I can't imagine what it would be!!!!!

Karla said...

You are right punkn and you said it very well *hugs* I'm glad you still read the blogs and comment on them..at least we know how you are doing :-)

sexy41 said...

I have them all stumped Punkn, I pretty much have the same set up as DD, just a little differant, same sound card. Just differant things to pick from. Very strange. Maybe my sound card, but so strange that I am similar to DD and it doesn't work.

Hugs