Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Dear Diary

When we dug the Christmas "stuff" out from under the steps this year, Jim decided to pull some old boxes out that had been stored in the back of the storage area for many, many years.  Neither one of us had any idea what was in those boxes.  What a treasure trove!

There were things from before we got married and some other stuff.  One box mostly contained keepsakes of Jim's and one box was full of... wait for it... my diaries.  I've always wondered what happened to my childhood diaries.  And now I know.

39 years worth of diaries.  The earliest is the Black Five Year Diary with lock and key.  It was given to me on my birthday in 1964.  The last Diary was in 1999.

I think Jim said it best.  If there was a slip of paper available, I  would write on it.

The very first entry:  May 20, 1964.  Dear Dirary, today was my birthday & I got a pair of pants, a pair of booteeze, a dollar, a long chappel veil, a party, & a diary (you).  Good Night.  P.S.  I am 12 years old.

I also found a poem I wrote when I was 16 that I have searched for many times over the years.  I always remembered it and wanted it back.

The Moody Heart

I guess when you really look at me
With frank and truthful eyes
I am immature and quite naive
With a heart that yearns and sighs.

The weird thing about this poor little heart
Is it doesn't know what it desires
It looks for love, though it's in the dark
And the least spark sets it on fire.

It wants friends that are ready to stay
And help when there's a need
And friends who understand the way
My heart is filled with greed.

My heart needs more than friendship, too
It needs a love that's strong
A love to stand the hardships through
And last me all life long.

As you can see, quite readily
My heart's a complicated thing
Love brings it a happy melody
But lost love just bring it pain.

Right now it's at the breaking point
Tomorrow may bring nothing wrong
But through happiness and all that disappoints
My heart'l go on, and on.

Deanna 16 

13 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

That was a treasure trove indeed! What fun to revisit your early self.

A very happy new year to you and all your loves, Deanna!

Intense Guy said...

Oh, what a find! And that poem is wonderful, no wonder you were often looking for it!

And Jim is right, I see all sorts of paper in that pile! :)

Now tell us, what was in Jim's box? Enquiring minds (or is it just nosy people?) wanna know...

Toriz said...

Great find... That's a lovely poem!

betty said...

I like that poem, Deanna! Such wisdom for 16 years old! What a great find to have found too with your diaries! I am sure it is something you will treasure looking back on over the months ahead. Curious, why did you stop diaries in 1999? Or did you move to another format?

betty

Rita said...

OMGosh!! I'd be reading through every word. All my early writings and poems were burned by an ex-boyfriend...a suitcase full! *sigh*

And the old mementos--from even before you were married...what treasures!!

Love the poem! Don't lose any of it again, now!! ;)

AliceKay said...

I'm glad you discovered the boxes of diaries and other papers. That's a great poem. It speaks from the heart. I'm glad you finally found where it had been hiding all these years.

I used to have one of those 5-year diaries. Doubt I still have it, but you never know. The closet in our master bedroom has shelves way in the back side and you can't get to them unless you take out all of the clothes hanging on the rod in front of them first. One of these days I'll have to tackle that job and see what's in the boxes on those shelves.

I'm with Iggy. I'm curious as to what was in Jim's box.

aprilmecheelesdulllife said...

Oh Deanna what great treasure to have found again !! I would love to see what you wrote!! lol I love to read dairies!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I envy you your diaries! I started a journal a few years after we were married but only entered sporadically before quitting altogether. I often wish I'd kept it up. It's interesting to look back and see how things have changed. Mostly I see how much I was able to get done when I was much younger!

ChicagoLady said...

I've often wanted to keep a diary, since I was a teenager, but never felt I had anything to write, didn't know what to write. Guess that's continued into my adult life, hence the lack of posts on my blog, lol.

You were very wise indeed when you were 16. Beautiful and thoughtful poem.

Pix at Under the Oaks said...

I have tried to keep a journal but haven't kept up regularly. I would love to have my old diaries but too many moves and lost they are! A poem to treasure!

Queenie Jeannie said...

What a treasure trove of memories!!! I'm glad you found them! Enjoy reading!

Lainie said...

Wow...love the poem. I, too, kept diaries and when I moved in with George, I found them in my attic. My kids had a blast reading passages from them, mostly cos those were the ones I kept while I was pregnant and in their very young years. I also found my book of poems and short stories, all hand written. It's so fun!

LadyStyx said...

Very nice poem. :)

Enough poems like that and maybe you could have THOSE bound into a book?