Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I SPY!

Here it is.  HIS box!

As we laid out the assortment of treasures from Jim's box of old, I was reminded of the children's books, "I Spy"




Keep in mind that this box was packed and toted out of Jim's home when he moved out at the age of 19.  That was almost 40 years ago!

Iggy guessed the tools of his trades, but at that point he didn't have any trades, so that wasn't it.  He also suggested "lacy racies" (shame on you ;).  The closest he came to lacy racies is the hair pins of mine that he collected.  I was bad about leaving them in his car and he was good about saving them.


A lost and found collection of bobbie-pins

Julie guessed  year books, model cars and pictures.   You got the cars part right! But there was oh so much more!



An old model and car, old bottles and oh so much more!

I SPY... fools gold in a tobacco pouch, little boy bow ties, a doggy pin from his grandma, 4 leaf clover and pocket knives from his dad, his grandpa's old cuff links, a Walker Motor Company (now gone) pencil from Chamois, Old Zippo lighter, religious medals, ink pens, a peach seed carved into a monkey, old broaches, steering wheel turning knob off of an old 49 Ford pick up, tie clasps, santa with a light up nose that doesn't work anymore, a yoyo, a plastic cow made to be stuck in a streak to tell how it was cooked, his grandpa's old wallet, a little plastic globe, drink stirrers, a pinocchio pin

And that, my good friends, is what was in HIS box!
 



 

14 comments:

Flat Creek Farm said...

Treasures!! I love to 'run on' to these treasure boxes when I'm digging through things. Tells a lot about the individual too! -Tammy

Intense Guy said...

Well, recovering from my disappointment of the lacy racies...

...that red station wagon might just be a treasure... Hello Antique Roadshow?

:) Such a colorful collection -

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

What a box of treasures is right. I would be afraid to see what my husband would have tucked away at 19! These are great and show he had been saving some for a while.

spacegirl60 said...

Funny what people choose that is imporant at the time. I'm sure some of it brought back smiles. Other items he was wondering why it was so special at the time. Love finding old things and going through them. I hope Jim enjoyed his walk through memory lane!

AliceKay said...

What a huge variety of items Jim packed away in his box. It's amazing what we sometimes save as keepsakes. I liked his. :)

Rita said...

Oh wow! That is just sooo cool! I love going through treasure boxes like this. But you need the person there to tell you what's what and the whys of it all, if possible. And you got him right there!! :):) Awesome!!

Steve Skinner said...

If Jim can stand to part with his treasures, he might realize a few dollars selling them on ebay.

Toriz said...

Interesting box contents there, LOL!

I was going to ask how you so easily lost your hair pins in his car so often, but on reflection I think I'd rather not know the answer to that one. ;)

AliceKay said...

LOL @ Tori

Pix at Under the Oaks said...

Very cool! What fun memories during the cold old winter! No picture taking things? Maybe I missed something. Love the little bow ties :)

ChicagoLady said...

What an interesting assortment of what were, probably at the time, meaningful items. Not quite what I expected, but very fascinating none the less. Please tell Jim thanks for letting us see a little into his youth.

LadyStyx said...

I remember having a Santa pin like that! How sweet of him to keep your bobby pins :)

jewelzmomof4 said...

Holy Cow!!! I now know where I get my problem with collecting little things LOL. I knew there would be old model cars!!! I knew this because I still have the old Model VW bug he gave me years and years ago in a box downstairs so if I kept mine i knew Dad would have kept his LOL...tell Dad THANKS for the hoarding of little things issues LOL.

Anonymous said...

Oh my what wonderful treasures thanks so much for sharing with us!!