Friday, May 8, 2009

I said please…

As I was heading into town to stay with dad the other day, I noticed a turtle sitting along the side of the road.

Turtle in his shell   I said, “Please Mr. Turtle, can I take your picture?”

Turtle peeping out of his shell

He was the friendliest turtle I’ve ever met.  He put out his little turtle foot and waved at me, and said “Sure, you sweet lady, I don’t see why not.”

Turtle crossing gravel road

So he posed real purdy for me.  He seemed to think this profile shot showed off his best side.  He even told me his name is Speedy because he’s the best there is when it comes to crossing these country roads with every redneck in the county barreling down on him with their 4x4 trucks.

I nicely thanked him, got back into my car and went on my way.  What a nice little turtle.

Oh heck, who do I think I’m kidding…

Actually I really was heading into town to stay with my dad, driving too fast up our gravel road (first time I’ve ever driven too fast, I swear it…) when I came up on this turtle crossing the road as only a turtle can – slowly.

So, I stopped my car, grabbed my trusty little camera and quickly snapped his picture before he retreated back into his shell.

Turtle crossing the road

Then since he was so slow, I snapped another picture.

Turtle crossing gravel road

Bubba here FINALLY figured out what I was doing and tried to get away from me, but I was too fast and snapped one more picture of the coward.

  Turtle retreating into his shell

Then, after I had sufficiently terrorized him, I hopped back into my VW and took off, flinging gravel behind me.  I’m pretty sure none of it hit Bubba, though.

Turtle closed up in his shell

Has anyone figured out that I don’t have anything good to blog about, so I’m blogging nonsense?   Hope the sun is shining in your part of the world – get out there and enjoy your weekend!!!!!

12 comments:

LadyStyx said...

Ya know, after all the nice things that your daughter talked about in her blog, I would have been really inclined to believe the first half of the story. However, that second half...might wanna be careful of a Turtle Tribunal....

jewelzmomof4 said...

LOL Mom you are a funny lady. Dakota says that if he were a little smaller then he could come live with his two turtle (george and Sally) in his room. I always wondered where he got his facination with turtles but now I know. From his crazy grandma. LOL

MarmiteToasty said...

But dam its good nonsense...:)

x

Toriz said...

*Grins* I thought maybe you were filling in for Iggy for the day. ;)

It's nice and sunny here. It's now just after 2:15 pm, and I've not long come in from outside (been working with my plants and flowers). Is that good enough for getting out there and enjoying the sunshine?

ApocalypsE said...

SUN OVER MY PART OF THE WORLD SO DAMN HOT...

TAKE SOME PICS...THE TURTLE THING WAS CUTE...

AliceKay said...

Loved the story. I was really believing it until you got to the part where you said you were speeding down your gravel road. LOL

Always in my prayers and thinking of you and your family. *hugs*

The Wife O Riley said...

That is so not nonsense!! I love the turtle story. I rarely ever see wildlife while driving.

Intense Guy said...

:)

Thats one handsome turtle... well, at least I think "he" is handsome - I'm gonna trust you know it was a him and not a her turtle.

LOL at the turtle's name, if I got it right, his full name is Mr. Bubba Speedy Turtle. The initials are kind of fitting...given you think this entry is nonsense. :)

*Hugs* Hope you and yours (including Speedy) are doing the best you can be.

Karla said...

Funny so very funny...*hugs* hope everything is okay with you. Prayers and thoughts for you and yours

Lainie said...

So freeking cute. I really love turtles and your pics and commentary made me smile. :-)

Intense Guy said...

I just decided to peek in on Speedy to see if he got across the road yet...

...He's a'followin' a chicken I hear...

ChicagoLady said...

I'm really disappointed that you left him to cross that dangerous road all by himself. He's not wearing his yellow jacket with reflective stripes either!

Or maybe you're a closet fan of turtle soup, and were hoping to stop by that spot in the road later in the day for dinner prep?

Someone needs to tell Sugar Bush that you were mean to a fellow animal!