Friday, May 15, 2009

New life!

I want to thank everyone for their wonderful comments, thoughts, and prayers over the past weeks.

We gave my dad a beautiful send-off today. In his coffin was his favorite cap that he wore while helping each and everyone of us on whatever the project of the day was. Also in the coffin was a note that grandson Dakota wrote to his great grandpa.

Last night at the prayer service each of us kids had the chance to share thoughts of our dad. His pastor gave a meaningful eulogy this morning and two of his nieces sang Ave Maria in his memory. Dad had a wonderful tender voice and sang that song at weddings in his younger years. And the final send off note was Taps after the Honor Guard fired a three volley salute.

I was simply amazed at the number of friends and family who showed up, both last night and today. After sharing a luncheon at the church hall, we headed home.

Hope we did you proud dad! I think we did…

We were bone weary when we got home – and did the only thing a bone weary person should do… we took a nap! Then refreshed, I strolled around outside for a bit. I was amazed at what I saw. New life all around me!

Chives

My chives look so pretty peeking up through the periwinkle. They are going to be so tasty chopped up for the salad. And the flowers add such color. Yep, I do like my chives.

Yellow rose bud

Isn’t this a pretty rose bud? By rights with all the shade we have around here I shouldn’t have a single rose, but they valiantly come back year after year, with very little care from me.

Pink miniature roses

And look at these miniature roses! The last time I checked, I didn’t even see the buds. It definitely has been awhile since I’ve opened my eyes and marveled at the beauty of nature.

Miniature rose

pink and yellow columbine

My columbine is holding her head so proudly. Isn’t she gorgeous?

008

011

I almost missed the irises completely. I love the delicate softness of my irises. And the aroma! They fill the air with their wonderful scent.

Yellow irises

Cherries just beginning to turn pink

Yikes! Look at my cherries! I’m going to be fighting the birds for these yummy treats real soon! Do you see my house peeking through the branches? Yep? That is where I headed. I plopped down into one of my many rocking chairs and breathed in the fresh, perfumed air and thought… LIFE IS GOOD!

rocking chairs

17 comments:

jewelzmomof4 said...

Mom I love this blog. I think Grandpa would be thrilled with how today went. I didn't know Grandpa sang Ave Maria at weddings but what i do remember is hearing him sing that song to me as a little girl among others. When that song started playing that is when I had the hardest time. I heard the girls singing it but I actually heard Grandpa in the back of my mind and it was just as beautiful as I remember it. Ok I'll stop casuse I know your crying now I kow I am. LOL I love you and will talk to you later. BTW Don't forget to call Austin tomorrow and tell him Happy Birthday.

The Wife O Riley said...

You have a beautiful garden! I never knew what Columbine looked like. They are stunning! I will have to see if they will grow here.

Your father's send off sounds like a beautiful and emotional day.

Intense Guy said...

There can be no disputing the uplifting restorative effects of flowers exploding into full bloom... the uplift is like that found at a maternity ward where new parents and their friends and relatives seek their first glimpse of the newborn's arrival.

I'm sure your father was content with his trusty hat and thrilled with Dakota's note. Taps and the gun salute is altogether fitting for a hero.

I hope you rest well tonight, Deanna, you have a birthday boy looking for you tomorrow! :)

...and don't forget to stop to smell the flowers...

Jan Holt said...

Deanna,

This is such a beautiful tribute to your Dad and to your family. Thanks for reminding us that even during our darkest times there is still beauty and the promise of great things to come.

Wishing you a soft return from your sadness,

Jan

LadyStyx said...

*HUGZ*

So beautiful. I wish my irises came in that deep purple color! Mine are a delicate shade of lavendar.

Karla said...

Isn't it amazing the way God makes us know that life is good when we are in our darkest hours? Your dad sounds like a wonderful man and I think I would have enjoyed meeting him. Sleep tonight and dream beautiful dreams. *hugs*

Toriz said...

I'm sure you all did your Dad proud. *Hugs*

Oh, Chives... Yummy! Oh, and cherries too... Very nice! :)

Yellow roses are my favourite flowers.

I'm glad you had the time to enjoy and marvel at your garden. I dare say you needed it after how stressful things have been for you lately. *Hugs*

Queenie Jeannie said...

Oh my! What a lovely place to live!!!! Everything is so beautiful and peaceful. I would never leave!!

I'm glad you are coming to peace with your Dad's passing. I know you will cherish all your incredible memories! You were really blessed!!!!!

Lainie said...

I love irises too, in fact I will miss mine at my 'other' house. Perhaps I can relocate them without killing them. The columbine are gorgeous. Never saw what they looked like before. I wonder if we can grow them here? Gonna check that out for next year.
I am sure your Dad is proud of all of you and is happy in the arms of his wife once again.
Hugs

MarmiteToasty said...

Beautiful Deena, as are you.....

x

Mean Mom said...

I'm glad that your father's funeral went well and that he had a good send off. What beautiful garden photos. Love all of the flowers, but the Iris is a particular favourite of mine.

junyah said...

All i can say is ..Well done Punkn. You did the best. and my Iries are of the dark puple when they get ready to come out. Be awhile yet. the werther has been cold but meantime the flowers here aren't going to wait for summer..

sexy41 said...

What a beautiful tribute to your Father. You have a beautiful place Deanna.

Hugs

AliceKay said...

I'm sure your father and mother are both looking over you now, and they are keeping you safe within their hearts. I've been thinking a lot about you and have been keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. *hugs*

Beautiful pictures, Deanna. You live in such a beautiful place. I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to meet each other this time around, but I look forward to many more pictures of your area.

Corinne Rodrigues said...

I guess flowers blooming are a beautiful way of celebrating a life well lived!
Hugs
Corinne

ChicagoLady said...

I hope it was a healing moment, to walk around outside, and see all that new life you almost missed.

I love Columbine, we had some in our back yard in Iowa when I was a kid. I miss having it around.

I think you really did your dad proud. He'd be very pleased with the send-off.

spacegirl60 said...

Hi Punkin,
I'm so sorry to hear of your father passing. You are a strong person and have a wonderful family. Take care of yourself, your husband and the rest of your brood.

spacie