Thursday, May 28, 2009

Seeing RED

In between thunderstorms and rain showers, I’ve been busy in my gardens lately. 

bowl of fresh strawberries 

Don’t these strawberries look yummy?  This is the third bowl of strawberries I have picked.  The patch is small and gives us just enough to have fresh berries for a few weeks. 

Bowl of fresh strawberries

They are so sweet!

056

A week ago my cherries weren’t quite ripe enough to pick…

Cherry trees ready for picking

The weekend of rains changed all of that…

Travis picking cherries

Thanks to the help of grandson Travis, I now have enough tart cherries in my freezer for eight cherry pies.  These are hands down the best pie cherries in the world!  The trees came from an old farmer friend many years ago. 

For years I fought the birds for these cherries.  Sometimes they were wormy and not worth messing with and other years beautiful, without a worm in them.  We have no idea why some years are wormy and other years not.  I wouldn’t dream of using pesticides!   I get enough of that when I buy my produce in the grocery stores.  It finally dawned on us last year that the cherries were beautiful with no worms and the birds hadn’t bothered them.  Finally after all these years we figured out that the only time the birds bothered our cherries was “wormy years”.  We vowed to never fight the birds for our cherries again.  Fortunately we had no bird problems this year, which meant no worms – just beautiful cherries.

16 comments:

MarmiteToasty said...

Oh I so wish I lived where you live lol ...... find me a little house with a porch and no neighbours and I would be in heaven....

x

jewelzmomof4 said...

Mom those strawberries and cherries look yummy and I don't even like cherries but I LOVE strawberries hint hint lol

AliceKay said...

The strawberries look delicious, and the cherries make me hungry for cherry pie. It's my favorite kind of pie. :)

The Wife O Riley said...

YUM!!!! I had to go and eat the last piece of cherry pie from the fridge after reading this.

Betty said...

Those strawberries look delicious! The only ones we get in the stores have been shipped from California, in refrigerated trucks, and all the flavor is gone. Same with tomatoes.

Karla said...

those strawberries look scrumtious! I'm not much of a cherry lover..but they are pretty and ripe and..well you know!
(AK should of said something..I had pie crust and cherry pie filling in the house when she was here)

Jan Holt said...

Yum!!! I can't wait to go berry picking here too! Thanks for the tip about the worms, that makes total sense!

Happy Thursday,

Jan

Intense Guy said...

Those strawberries look really yummy! I bet you have a really great "frog-less" strawberry shortcake recipe.

The cherries look good too - I hate being on ladders but I'd get over that to pick some in return for a slice of your pie!

AliceKay said...

(i did tell karla that i loved cherry pie. told her it was my favorite kind of pie and that my mom used to make it for me for my birthday instead of cake)

sexy41 said...

Yummy looking strawberry's and cherry's. I don't like cherry pie though, I like cherries eating them not cooked.

Lainie said...

I love strawberries and those sure do look great! We will go to the farm down the road in a month or so and pick a bunch. I am not a cherry fan, so I will pass on the cherry pie but I might have some if they are in a cobbler. The cherries look so pretty in the tree!

Queenie Jeannie said...

You are so lucky!!! I love fresh fruit!!!! Enjoy it for all of us, ok?

And I'm glad you like my bloggy makeover. It was a longggg time in coming, but someone finally made my "vision" a reality!

junyah said...

maybe thats why George Washington cut down the cherry tree, its a off year and they were full of worms,either way, he said ,( i can not tell a lie,it was the beavers down stream ) .. lol

LadyStyx said...

oooooooooooh yummy.

a cup of skim, 6 oz of yogurt, a nanner and a handful of those beauties would make a delicious smoothie!

Toriz said...

My mouth is watering just thinking about those strawberries and cherries.

I wish I could have one of your cherry pies... Not to mention some of those yummy strawberries.

ChicagoLady said...

Mmmmmm, fresh strawberries!