Sunday, January 10, 2010

The solution

It is still unbelievably cold here. 

We have a fireplace that is ducted throughout the house.  Thirty or so years ago it was our only source of heat, along with a few baseboard heaters in a few of the rooms.  Then years ago we finally installed a furnace and air conditioning system.  And we largely quit using the fire place.  What a shame.

We always find a reason to build fires in the little wood stove rather than the fireplace.  Two of the biggest reasons is the work of hauling in big logs and the dirt it leaves behind.  Another reason for not using it is that it “eats wood”.  I know – all fire places eat wood, but this one really gobbles it up like a hungry teenager.  And unbelievable as it may sound, if you don’t contain the fire, the house becomes unbearably hot.  Even with the thermostat, the fire box gets so hot that it is difficult to control.  So… we don’t use the fire place very often.  But we did last night. 

 

IMG00022-20100109-1845

The temperatures dipped below 0 and I’ll have to tell you a fire was never more appealing and warming than this one last night.  It was so toasty warm that I couldn’t make myself get off my butt to get the camera to take a picture, but rather used my cell phone and took this mediocre shot.  I might just have to rev it up again tonight.  Jim is working and I’m pretty sure a nice warm fire would be a nice surprise to come home to.  What do you think?  Should I?

12 comments:

Funny in My Mind said...

I love to blog in front of the fire but it IS messy and does get hot! We are taking Big One to Kirksville and just passed the Katy Trail exit. Were we close to you ? I waved anyway! Fire up the wood eater, we just bought 3 loads of wood yesterday from a guy who makes a living selling firewood and doing odd jobs.

Janet said...

It was ridiculously cold last night, wasn't it? Brrrrr! The fire looks cozy. I say fire it up again tonight!

Anonymous said...

Could be the kind of wood you are burning... some burn hotter than others.

I'm ready for some warmer weather and it is supposed to warm up later this week. We can only hope.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

AliceKay said...

Most definitely.

I love to watch a fire burn in a fireplace. I wish I had one. My parents have one at their "getaway place" in the mountains west of here, and my sister has one in the basement of their house.

I hope the weather changes soon. We had an actual temp of -1F here yesterday morning. It's +10F here this morning, but the wind is blowing so the wind chill has to be down there again.

Anonymous said...

I love wathching a fire. Fireplace or bonfire, doesn't matter to me. We have a fireplace in our dining room that has a gas log in it. Just not the same.

Intense Guy said...

I hope you fired it up and enjoyed the toasty warmth along with the cracking and snaps.

Anonymous said...

Im late on answering but I think you should :o) I would love to come home to a lit fireplace, yours is beautiful and I think your phone took a nice pic.

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited because our new house has a fireplace!!

ChicagoLady said...

I've lived in my apt for 11 years now, and I never used it until last year. What was I thinking???? Although I heard a few weeks ago that lighting a fire in your fireplace actually takes heat out of your house, the suction of the heat going up the fireplace, supposedly pulls heat from your house along with it. Not sure I believe it, but I'll still build fires, they are so nice and toasty warm. I think you should have one every night, lol.

Queenie Jeannie said...

I so miss having a fireplace!!!! They are so cozy!

Rita said...

I love the sight of the embers, the smell is delicious, and the sounds are captivating! Love fires--in fireplaces or outdoor pits where you roast hotdogs on a stick. I hope another one would be in order. ;)

Toriz said...

Always nice to have a "proper" fire on a cold evening!