Saturday, May 8, 2010

Thank you for choosing life

Thank you for choosing life.  Without the choice of life, there would be no mothers.
I struggled about a Mother’s Day post.  How to express what a mother is.  I found this anonymous poem and wanted to share it:
What is a Mother
Someone who cares when others care less
Someone who encourages when others ridicule.
Someone who defends when others condemn.
Someone with patience when others are impatient.
Someone who appreciates when others fail to notice.
Someone who gives security in a world of insecurity.
Someone who is accepting when others reject.

A Mother is a friend for all time, to cherish and protect, as her achievements will linger for generations.
Our daughter, Julie, became pregnant at age 15.  She made it very clear that adoption was not an option.  Nor was abortion (thank God).  It is not important to go into detail.  Bottom line is that we surrounded her with love.

Our parish priest was not an understanding man.  That happens.  Quite frankly, he tried our faith.  Apparently he wasn’t very observant because he didn’t notice Julie (love you dear) was pregnant, but did notice when she walked into church with her new baby.

The next day she got a call from him.  He told her that if every girl did what she did, the world would be a terrible place.  He then told her he hadn’t decided whether he would baptize her baby or not.  She told him we didn’t need him and hung up on him.  It was a very dark day for us.  Thank God for Tessa being with Julie that afternoon.   When Jim and I found out what happened, we were furious and our faith was tested – it is hard to explain how tested.  Then the unimaginable happened.
There was a knock at the door.  It was a member of our church’s Knights of Columbus organization.  He had a rose in his hand.  He handed it to Julie and said,

“We want to thank you for choosing life”
A beating heart deserves a chance to grow and be loved.  Many beating hearts are killed before they have that chance.

So to every woman who has chosen life, no matter how hard the decision, THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS YOU!

And to every person who has chosen to take that life and nurture it and mold it and treasure it – HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!

All my love to all mothers.

And yes, I miss mine.

9 comments:

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

amazing contribution!
thank you for the open mind and lovely writing!

Rural Rambler said...

I miss my Mom too. Happy Mother's Day Deanna and to all the Moms in your family and the Moms you hold near and dear. Enjoy your Sunday :)

junyah said...

A Very good story, the one thing i would have asked that preacher. is . Just how did he get here??Happy Mothers day to you and Juilie.

AliceKay said...

Beautiful poem.

That priest was pretty harsh. A lot of them were back then. I could see why your faith was tested when you heard what he had said to Julie. I'm glad she chose life, too. The gentleman from the Knights of Columbus was gracious. What a wonderful act of kindness.

Happy Mother's Day, Deanna...and to Julie and Tessa, too. *hugs to you*

Toriz said...

Beautiful post!

It is a shame when someone who is hardly more than a child themselves has to decide whether or not to choose life. But I'm glad Julie did, because I agree that every baby has the right to have a chance of life. If they weren't meant to, then they wouldn't exist.

jewelzmomof4 said...

Mom I am in tears. I had remembered that story of Father saying that to me to the T but I let that stick in my head and what I pushed out of my head was what came after that to tell me that God was still there for me. I love you and thank you all for helping me raise my wonderful son Travis for the first four years of his life.

Queenie Jeannie said...

Big hugs!!

I'm sorry you miss your Mom! This was a beautiful post!!!

Your priest needs to take a time out and read his bible....grrrr.....

Intense Guy said...

I got all goosebumpy.

There are good ones and bad ones when it comes to just about anything - including Priests.

*hugest hugs to a wonderful mom*

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

http://itistimetothinkformyself.blogspot.com/2010/05/jingles-may-follower-award-week-2.html

awards for u.
Happy Tuesday!