Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Will I Ever Learn Wednesday

How is it that we have rolled around to Wednesday again already?
This is my ditzo day of the week. And this past week, there have been a couple of doozies - with one significant one.
WILL I EVER LEARN...
Thirteen years ago we remodeled our kitchen. The remodel included expanding the size of the room by almost double, adding a luandry room, and a screened in porch for our hot tub. It also included all new appliances.

Let me give you a tiny little tip... don't buy all of your appliances at the same time. They WILL all go out at the same time. It is a fact of life. So far the repairman has been able to fix the washer and dishwasher for a few hundred dollars. It took $65 for the diagnosis that our refrigerator is terminally ill. In the words of our esteemed repairman, "...it could last six hours, it could last six years". Apparently a piece is loose inside a casing that can't be gotten to - that was never meant to be fixed. And when it finally goes, it's gone.

If any of my central Missouri area blog friends want the name of a good appliance repairman, his company is The Appliance Doc. We have used him for years and he has saved us thousands of dollars.
---------------------------------------------------------
My camera begged to go on a boat ride with the teenagers Sunday. Even though I knew we needed to leave shortly, I said yes. It seems strange not being able to download the pictures I took. It's going to be interesting to see what additional pictures are on there. If I remember, I'm going to pick it up from Patti's house today. I meant to do it yesterday, but forgot.
---------------------------------------------------------
Are you ready for this one? This is a doozy. My heart is still beating out of control. I am still wiping the persperation from my forehead. My knees are still weak.

On the way home from the Lake, we stopped at the Osage Beach Outlet Mall to look at shoes. All I want is a simple pair of white sandals. Every pair that struck my fancy cost $50 or more. Sometimes I'll pay that - and sometimes I won't. I was definitely in a won't frame of mind.

It was time for a potty break, then a stop at one of my favorite places in the whole wide world, Harry & David's, and then home. So off I go to do my thing in the little girl's room (and yes, I did wash my hands), then I headed across the parking lot with Jim.

Halfway across the lot, I asked Jim to give me my billfold back.
He looked at me like I was crazy... "I don't have your billfold"
And I looked at him like he was even crazier... "Of course you do, I handed it to you when I went to the bathroom".
And he got the wild eyed look that would scare the bejezus out of a warrior... "You did NOT hand me your wallet!"
Now we both had the wild look in our eyes and took out running back across the parking lot.

A lady was coming out of the bathroom. I looked at her suspiciously, thinking "did she take my wallet... would she get upset if I stopped her and searched her... yea, I guess she would..."

I got to the stall I had done my thing in and there was a lady in there. And she was apparently having some difficulty. She was in there forever and I couldn't figure out what the strange noises were. And the aroma was definitely different from the ones I smelled earlier in the perfume shop. Finally, I timidly asked if there was a wallet laying on the toilet roll dispenser. She grunted out a NO!. Oh crap. I looked in the other stalls for good measure, even though I knew for certain where I had left it. Nothing.

Back outside, I am panicking! We start retracinig our steps to shops, thinking maybe I had laid the wallet down while looking at things. Store after store we searched, leaving my business card - just in case...

We start looking in trash cans, hoping maybe they took the cash and threw the rest away. Cash - what's that? I never carry cash but today I did. Actually, I never carry a wallet when I go shopping. I always pocket a credit card and my license and that's it. But today I grabbed my big fat, I don't need most of the crap in it, wallet. What was I thinking!!!

We are now resigned to the ugly task of returning to the truck, taking out our cell phones, and begin cancelling our debit and credit cards. One nice sales lady had suggested we check with the visitor center. She was even nice enough to point the way. Knowing defeat was inevitable, we dejectedly headed down a flight of stairs to the last possible place we might find my mistake.

The lady looked up at me with a knowing look in her eye. I'm pretty sure she was able to smell the persperation of fear on me before I even opened the door. Looking back, I wish I had been nicer. But no, I barged in and didn't even say, "hello, nice day isn't it" (or something totally inane like that) - but rather said "has anybody turned in a wallet????!!!!!!". And she calmly asked, "what is your name". "DEANNA!" Against all odds, she reached behind a folder and pulled out my naughty wallet. She did! It was there! It had every card in it - SS, license, credit, debit - and the cash was even there.

She told me I was a very lucky lady. I agreed with her - wholeheartedly, with a stupid grin on my face, that I couldn't have hidden if I tried. She said a maintenance worker had found it in the bathroom. His supervisor was standing there and I asked him to thank him. He pointed to a wonderful man who was taking a break outside the door and said, "that's him". I walked out and thanked him over and over.

Now I'm once again kicking myself and am back into "what was I thinking mode". It wasn't until we were well on our way home that Jim turned to me and said, "You know, you really should have given him a reward". Yes, I really should have. I so wish I had thought of it at the time. I am going to send a card into corporate telling them what a wonderful staff they have going on there.
----------------------------------------------------------------
So there you have it. Will I ever learn...
They predicted rain today. The sun is shining. I'm not complaining.
Thanks for the sweet comments on my melancholy me post. The scanner still isn't working. The sanitary waste technicians might soon get an opportunity to try their hand at it.

Have a wonderful rest of the week everyone!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good grief hubby would have let me have it up and down if I had done that but I am always checking my pockets when I carry my lil wallet around and sometimes when I am in the car and I set it on the little place I set it and check my pocket for it and it isnt there my poor heart immediately goes boom boom, Im so glad that the honest man turned it in you were very lucky indeed. I hope you are having a good week, hugs!

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

We love the applicance Doc. We called him a couple of weeks ago about our dying washer. The blacksmith had diagnoised the problem. Dan told us, the part was $35, the trip $100, then he ask, how old the washer was, how many times he had worked on it, etc. He quickly talked us into a new one. He made no money that day, but he's a good honest sole.
BTW, I love, love love my new washer he recommended.

Anonymous said...

Didn't lose my wallet last month, but I did lose my bank card and had to have it cancelled and a new one issued. Some days I have a really lame brain and I don't see it healing itself anytime soon. HA!

Di
Glad you got your wallet back!! What a pain in the patootie that would have been.

Queenie Jeannie said...

I would have totally freaked if I had lost my purse or wallet!!! Yikes! I'm so glad it worked out ok for you!

Big hugs!!!

Toriz said...

This is why I always check - then double and tripple check - that I have absolutely everything with me that I took with me before moving on to another location.

And also why I wont wear trousers without pockets if I can help it. Pockets doesn't guarantee no lost items, but it definately reduces the chances of things getting lost.

aprilmecheelesdulllife said...

I love your - Will I ever Learn wednesdays !!! You always put a smile on my face. I am gla d to see there are other people besides me that things happen to alot... LOL

Intense Guy said...

Umm.. now don't forget to send the letter! :)

My Dad, always an absent-minded brainiac with his thoughts occupied by things no normal person would think about (I'm being nice, he's just dopey at times) has done the "get in the car, get out of the car go back in the house for something, get in the car, go back in the house for something else" routine so often, I proposed making a velcro-vest thing with bank-like pen chains hanging from it for his "stuff."

Stuff like his cell phone, pill bottle, sunglasses, reading glasses, wallet, and a laminated checklist with dry erase maker for checking off items...

Soon, I'm gonna do it... sounds like there is a serious market for it... :)

He never forgets his Captain Bob cap though...

Unknown said...

Thank heavens there are still honest people in this world.

betty said...

oh wow! what a story about the wallet! glad you got it back intact with nothing missing!!

I'll have to remember that about the appliances and remodeling if we ever do that. It makes sense that they would all start falling apart within the same timeframe if you buy them together

hoping the day is a sunny one for you

betty

Funny in My Mind said...

If you would have gone to Banana Republic, you would have seen my son working there. I spend a lot of time and money at that mall.......

AliceKay said...

I'm glad you got your wallet back and everything was still in there. Yes, there still are some honest, caring people in this world, and most of them wouldn't even think of accepting a reward for doing "the right thing".

*hugs*

(i love your photos in your header)

tattytiara said...

Oh wow oh wow oh wow even when you think for a split second that you've misplaced a wallet it's one of the worst sensations in the world. A marathon search like that would be horrible - I can feel it in the pit of my stomach just thinking about it. So glad this entry had a happy ending!

Flat Creek Farm said...

Oh Deanna, you have a way of telling the story! I am sitting here smiling, laughing, and thinking at the same time "that could be me." (regarding the wallet incident...).
-Tammy

MarmiteToasty said...

wow, those sort of honest people are few and far between nowadays... glad you got everything back...

Im forever living me debit card in the machine thingie down in our shops... I usually wander in the next day and say 'I suppose ya didnt find me card did ya' and they say YEP its out the back lmfao

My washing machine has an insurance on it for 5 years, so I have no worries now if it breaks down, and if it does and the bloke cant mend it, then they replace it for a new one.... and I know a bloke that sorts out dishwashers and tumble driers so Im sort covered :) - and the last time my freezer packed up I claimed for damages to contents on my home insurance even though the freezer was empty lol how was they to know it was NOT filled with huge meats and stuff :) they just sent a check for the value of what I said was inside which was enough to go out and buy a new freezer.... oh shut it, sometimes one has to do what one has to do :)

x

AliceKay said...

I love your picture of the flag and flag pole. Very nice. :)

God Bless America.