Friday, April 5, 2013

A to Z Challenge - Letter E

E is for Eight Track Tapes.

There was only one remembering that I could think of for the letter E.  Boy is it a doozy. 



I am remembering cruizin' the Boulevard, windows down, music blaring
Want some whiskey in your water
Sugar in your tea
What's all these crazy questions they askin' me
This is the craziest party there could ever be
Don't turn on the lights, 'cause I don't want to see

Mama told me not to come
Mama told me not to come
That ain't the way to have fun, no

How dare our generation criticize the lyrics of today's music!  Three Dog Night Captured Live at the Forum was one of Jim's favorite Eight Tracks, so it became one of mine by osmosis.  We listened to everything, though.  Some of our favorites were The Carpenters, Willie Nelson, Fleetwood Mac, Journey, Hank William, Kenny Rogers, The Eagles, Moody Blues,...

Our eight track player was retrofitted on a metal rack that hung under the dash of  Jim's '63 Chevy.  It was a real knee buster.  The tapes themselves were not very reliable.  Often the player would "eat" the tape, pulling it out of the case, creating a mess that had to be tediously wound back inside - if we were lucky.  The music would skip and warble where the tape had become damaged.  But our ears forgave every little flaw as we sang to the tunes of our generation.

WE'VE ONLY JUST BEGUN  The Carpenters
We've only just begun to live
White lace and promises
A kiss for luck and we're on our way
(We've only begun)

Before the risin' sun, we fly
So many roads to choose
We'll start out walkin' and learn to run
And yes, we've just begun

Sharing horizons that are new to us
Watching the signs along the way
Talkin' it over, just the two of us
Workin' together day to day
Together
Together

And when the evening comes, we smile
So much of life ahead
We'll find a place where there's room to grow
And yes, we've just begun

Sharing horizons that are new to us
Watching the signs along the way
Talkin' it over, just the two of us
Workin' together day to day
Together
Together

And when the evening comes, we smile
So much of life ahead
We'll find a place where there's room to grow
And yes, we've just begun
Songwriter(s): Paul H. Williams, Roger S. Nichols

12 comments:

Megan said...

We've Only Just Begun is one of my favorite songs ever. So beautiful!

Unknown said...

I remember how the player always seemed to eat your favourite tracks, it was frustrating!

Lucy said...

I remember those stacks of eight track tapes in the house!!

orneryswife said...

We had a group sing We've Only Just Begun at our wedding (1979). Ornery's 1976 Monte Carlo had an 8-track deck built in. He had a cool little carrying case filled with about 16 tapes. His favorite was Boston, but he had Fleetwood Mac, Journey and an assortment of others as well.

Funny you should post the 3 Dog Night lyrics--I just purchased their greatest hits CD last week. They were my favorite group in high school!
tm

Paula Martin said...

I love the Carpenters!

Intense Guy said...

Goodness... 8-tracks... My older brother had a player he bought with money from his paper route and I think all I ever saw was 1 cartridge - he couldn't afford any more of them!

Racking my head to remember what the album on the cartridge was... I remember it was black with one lettering...

Margo Kelly said...

And now I have Carpenters playing away in my head! Love them. Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday. I'm a now following yours. :)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I had Meatloaf's first album, Bat Out of Hell, on eight track.

Queenie Jeannie said...

I remember 8 tracks...barely! I was really little, but thought they were magical, lol!

martine said...

Loved the Carpenters, had a tape that was listened to in the car over and over as a child and knew all the songs by heart. thanks for the nostalgia trip.

AliceKay said...

My dad installed an 8-track player in my Mustang the year I bought it, and I was in seventh heaven. (simple things made us so happy back then...lol) That 8-track player started eating tapes after awhile. Usually my favorite tapes, too.

One of my favorite songs is "We've Only Just Begun" by The Carpenters.

ChicagoLady said...

I kind of missed the 8 track generation. My parents had 78's and 33's, I had 45's then moved to cassettes. None of my parents cars had 8 track players, just am radio. Great music to listen to though!