Friday, April 19, 2013

A to Z Challenge - Q

Hi everyone.  Here were are remembering the letter Q.

This is going to be short and sweet. My laptop is sick, so I am posting from my IPad.  I love my IPad,  but I'm not a big fan of typing long messages on it.

Q is the perfect letter for a short post, because the letter Q makes me remember my love for Quiet.

In a three bedroom house of two adults and four kids, quiet was a rare commodity, but it was possible.

My favorite way to find quiet was to curl up with a book.  In my own little cocoon, lost in words, it didn't much matter what else was going on around me.  My mind was in a quiet space.

There was a space under the basement steps, where I would hide and write.  Shhhh. It is my secret.

Church was a special, quiet time for me.  I could sit and think and dream.  Sometimes I even prayed!

We had a forbidden creek behind our house (my mother had a great fear of water).  When I needed to really think or have a good cry, I'd slip away to the solitude of the creek and find my quiet.

Do you crave quiet?  I still do and, I'm sure, always will.

I apologize if I don't get to your blogs for a bit.  I will probably be reading, but not commenting like I would like to.

13 comments:

Intense Guy said...

I hope your laptop can be brought back to good health swiftly.

I was much like you - escaped into the quiet world of books. "Encyclopedia Brown" and the "Hardy Boys" come to mind.

The "rock throwing" creek was also a quiet spot when I went alone (probably too often). I love the sound of gently running water.

Megan said...

I NEED quiet time in order to survive!

Anne Mackle said...

It's lovely to have a quite spot and read a book and shut the world out,everyone needs it.
Is Anyone There

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Eep...posting from the iPad is hard to do. You have courage in tackling it!

Elizabeth said...

I've read lots of Q posts today, but I've loved yours best. Q for quiet, how perfect.

Unknown said...

Not to worry hon, get back when you can. It's really a bother when your laptop goes belly up, hope you get it sorted soon. A lovely little post, quiet time, no matter what your circumstances is always important. There is nothing like taking a long, quiet walk in the forest/woods and finding a place to sit and just be still and quiet. Well done.

Queenie Jeannie said...

I not only love my quiet, I absolutely NEED it!! I need time alone, to think, to center, to create. Anything that requires math (bills, taxes, etc), I need quiet. And like you, no matter what is going on around me, I can escape into a great book and often do!

Hoping your computer gets fixed or replaced really soon!! And that it doesn't take away from stamping money, lol! New catty in FOUR DAYS!!!

Deb Betz said...

I love a quiet house. No TV on. No computer on. Kids at school, husband at work. Me on a day off from work during the week. Just me and a book. Quiet. Heaven.

Thanks for sharing!

www.wearinglemon.blogspot.com

AliceKay said...

I hope your laptop feels better soon. They shouldn't be allowed to get sick....ever.

Sometimes I have too much quiet.



Pix Under the Oaks said...

Deanna! Sheesh I just saw your comments on my notifications button and came to check if you has posted. You been posting and I didn't know it. I am so sorry! Dang and I was missing your funny! I switched to Feedly a bit ago and it seems you and about three other blogs are not showing up in the feed. That stupid google reader stopped letting me read. I love Feedly but oops! Hope your laptop stops being naughty and yes I crave quiet!!! I have tried posting from my iPad and it drove me insane!

Pix said...

If you HAD posted not has! Too early to type!

EvalinaMaria said...

I love Quiet! Last year I went to silent retreat and it was a great experience.

Megan said...

Just wanted to let you know I nominated you for a Very Inspiring Blogger Award! http://www.m5carolin.blogspot.com/2013/04/very-inspiring-blogger-award.html