Monday, April 15, 2013

A to Z Challenge - M

Hello there.  Did anyone notice that I missed the letter L in the A to Z Challenge?  I didn't think so.  In case you are wondering, I was going to blog about Lips.  The wax kind that we used to buy at the little service station on our way home from school.  Instead of blogging, though, I was spending my time with another L word.  My Loves.  Our family got together this weekend to celebrate a late Easter, and all thoughts of the A to Z Challenge went bye bye.  I'll try to do  better, I promise.

Here we are at the letter M.  Today I am remembering McClung Park.




Throughout grade school, McClung Park was the highlight of my school year.  Our school picnic was at McClung park. It was the one day each year when we could ditch our Parochial School uniforms and wear normal clothes.  Our poor teachers were given the task of trying to teach for a few hours in the morning, until we were finally let out grade by grade to walk to the park located a short distance away (1/2 mile or so).

I remember extreme weather - either very hot or very cold and wet.  I can still remember the excitement of holding on to my best friend's hand as we walked.  Getting to the park was half the excitement.  Once we got to the park, we were each given three tickets to be redeemed for treats.  I only remember them offering Popsicles  because that is what I always gobbled up.  We would go around and round on the merry-go-round until we were staggering like a drunk on a Saturday night.  Then on to the swings, jungle gym, and rolling down hills.  Finally we would each get picked up by our parents (or walk home), only to return later that evening, dressed in our prettiest dresses, to the pavilion for the school dance.


There was nothing sophisticated about the set up.  A record player would play music and everyone would dance with everyone else.  It was one big free-for-all.   I only remember two of the tunes playing those many years ago.  We'd put our left foot in, left foot out, and do the Hokey Pokey and turn ourselves about, over and over again.  There was only one dance we'd do more often than the Hokey Pokey.  That was the Bunny Hop.  Surely the Bunny Hop was the original line dance. We would line up, place our hands on the shoulder or waist of the person in front, and do what the lyrics said, trying not to lose grip as we hopped, hopped, hopped, snaking around the room.
Put your right foot forward
Put your left foot out.
Do the Bunny Hop.
Bunny, Hop, hop, hop!
Dance this new creation
It's the new sensation
Do the Bunny Hop
Bunny, Hop, hop, hop!
Let's all join in the fun
Father, mother, son
Do the Bunny Hop
Bunny, Hop, hop, hop!
Has anyone else done The Bunny Hop?  If not, get out there and find your inner child.  Live a little!


8 comments:

Megan said...

I actually did notice :-p

Love your memory about McClung park. Sounds so much fun.

Intense Guy said...

I noticed too -

I guess you were doing the bunny hop and hiding eggs!

Do the hokey pokey too...?

Unknown said...

you have me smiling just thinking of this, what lovely memories.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Great memories! The Hokey Pokey was always fun, but I'm trying to remember the Bunny Hop. I'm sure we must have done that one too. Fun days.

Margo Kelly said...

Bunny hop is especially fun as an adult. Something special about adults acting silly. :)

AliceKay said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. I don't remember the Bunny Hop but sure do remember the Hokey Pokey. :)

I'm glad you had a nice day with your family yesterday. Sure would have loved reading your story about the wax lips. Maybe one day you can share that story with your readers.

ChicagoLady said...

I can honestly say I've never done the Bunny Hop. But I've done the Chicken Dance, does that count? LOL

Anne Mackle said...

Great Memories,I bet you're having fun recalling them.