Monday, April 22, 2013

A to Z Challenge - S

There were so many remembering possibilities for the letter S.  I could tell you several snake stories, or remember the days of S & H Green Stamps, Sock Hops, Sponge Rollers, the Spirograph, or School.  But saltine crackers won out as the remember of the day.






 

 
To this day, the sight, smell or taste of a saltine cracker reminds me of my Grandma Hood.  Grandpa died the year I was born, so my memories of him are only in the stories I've been told.  Apparently the grandkids who were old enough to have known him, called him Grandpa Butterball.  I can't imagine where they would come up with such a nickname.  Right?
 

 
Back to saltine crackers.  After Grandpa passed away, Grandma was left to create and maintain traditions for her continually growing family.
 
 
The gathering of 12 children (one died as a child)...
 
 
Quickly turned into this gathering of something more than 12. 
 
So what kind of traditions can one possibly maintain with a family of this size.  It isn't like she could invite everyone over for Thanksgiving dinner, or Christmas, for that matter.  Somehow Grandma found a way to make each and every one of her children and grandchildren feel special.  I can't recall a single material gift from Grandma.  Her gift was one of herself. 
 
One of Grandma Hood's traditions was Sunday dinner for any and all of the families who made the trip to Tipton to visit her for the day.  She was like the Bible story of the Loaves and the Fishes.  No matter how many people showed up, there was always enough fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and fresh homemade bread for everyone.  Grandma was always there.  It wasn't like these days where you have to schedule time to be with your family.  You knew if you made a trip to Tipton, grandma would be there with her fried chicken and, if it was summer, fresh produce from her garden.
 
Gandma's other tradition?  Saltine crackers.
Grandma always kept a jar of saltine crackers sitting on the table in the front room. We knew we could always help ourselves to the crackers.  And that, my friends, is why the very sight of a saltine cracker creates wonderful memories of my Grandma Hood.
 
 
 
I will be away from the blogs for a few days. 
My Uncle Cy  passed away on Friday.  As my Godfather, he always made me feel special.  He holds a special place in my heart.  Here are a few other posts about Uncle Cy:  Uncle Cy, Visit with Uncle Cy.
Rest in Peace Uncle Cy.  I'm going to miss you.
 

10 comments:

Megan said...

I love the idea of Sunday family dinnners. I wish my family had that growing up, and have been thinking about starting the tradition now. Great pictures of your grandparents, too.

So sorry for your loss!

Sound of Music

a. nicole said...

I am sorry for your loss. You will be missed here in the blogosphere!

(PS.. I love saltines :)

Sandy said...

My condolences to you and yours for the passing of your Uncle Cy. In time to come, I hope you'll share special memories and stories of him as you have hear about Grandma. What a darling story, and special woman she was. Smart lady too...crackers aren't going to fattening, or ruin a childs dinner and so she didn't have to say...no, you can't have those now.

A-Z

Intense Guy said...

You've helped spread your Uncle Cy's specialness (and memory) among those that read here.

I send you a huge hug - and hope your fondest memories of him will always remain in your heart and soul.

I've a couple saltine loving grannies too - but this isn't the place for it.

Rhonda Albom said...

Sorry for your loss.
And thanks for the reminder of Saltines. Don't they make them anymore. Now that I don't live in the states, I just figure everything I don't see on the shelves just isn't in NZ.

Rhonda @Laugh-Quotes.com
Visiting from AtoZ #41

AliceKay said...

Premium Saltine Crackers are a staple in my home. Wouldn't want to be without them. Nice memory of your Grandma.

My condolences on the loss of your Uncle Cy. I remember your posts about him. Seemed like a great guy. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time. *hugs*

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Such a sweet story about your grandmother and the saltine crackers. You are blessed to be a part of such a large family.

So sorry for the loss of your Uncle Cy.
(((hugs)))

Pix Under the Oaks said...

Deanna so sorry about your Uncle Cy. I always enjoyed your posts about him. I love the idea of the tradition of Sunday dinner. CH and I still have a special stick to your ribs home cooked Sunday dinner. And I have a saltine tin box like that. It was my Mom's. We still take the saltine stacks out of the box and put them in the tin. Wouldn't be the same any other way! Take care Deanna!

Pearl said...

Ah. My mother was from a family of 14. There's nothing like a great big family...

I'm sorry for your loss.

Pearl

Vicki Lane said...

Oh, that saltine tin brought back memories of my grandmother's kitchen! She liked saltines in a glass of buttermilk as a light lunch.

A wonderful post... my condolences on your loss.