Friday, July 25, 2008

Irritated as hell

I received in the mail today a political ad from a "gentleman" who is running for State Representative for the County I live in. I've been more closely associated with politics over the years than the average bear, having worked for an elected official for 14 years. We all understand how it is done... say what you think the people want to hear and stretch the truth and, unfortunately, in some cases lie.
The purpose of this dude's campaign letter was to get the conservative (more specifically, Catholic) vote. Ok, I can't fault him for that. However, I did sit up and take notice when his letter stated that "he helped contribute to the building of the new church at St. Andrew..." Oh, really. The Church I have attended for 29 years, have been mighty active in, and just happen to be the parish secretary. I've never heard of this guy before! I sent him an email asking for an explanation. It will be interesting to see if he replies.

6 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Give him... well... give hell Punkn! I'd like to hear what this guy has to say too.

*Hugs!*

AliceKay said...

I'd like to hear what he has to say, too.

Deanna said...

I'll be sure to share when (if) I hear back.

LadyStyx said...

*shakes head* See right about then I would have sent him a thank you letter for making me a voter of his competition and let him know I was going to the news with this with proof that he's lying. But then again, I can be a real mean critter when I find out I'm being lied to too. I'll love to see how he manages to justify his comments.

Karla said...

Politicians love to tell "pumped stories" to make people believe they are all for the people...when they only want to get elected to be overpaid and do no work!! Hopefully you will hear back from him, but I doubt it. LOL Call the newspaper and ask them to print the original letter and then say "when? where? nope he lied" LOL

Intense Guy said...

"[H]e helped contribute to the building of the new church at St. Andrew" could mean a few things other than monetary / fiscally. He might have been on (or knew) the zoning board which needed "persuasion" or he could have been "involved" with the office of bulding permits to "grease the wheel". Neither of which is flattering or even a desirable trait for an office holder (in my mind anyway.) He may have even "just" voted for a law that allowed the building in some indirect way - The politician ego makes them translate that vote into "I did something to help".