Wednesday, June 17, 2009

As time goes by

IMG_0618

With our best friends - Gerard, Jim, Patti, Deanna

There is magic in the air.

Jim and I were married 37 years ago today. Thirty seven! How is that possible?

Long, long ago, in a far away place, we met in of all places, Kindergarten. The long, long ago would have been in 1957 and the far away place was about 30 miles down the road from where we live now. Our hearts were torn to shreds when his parents moved across town and another school in 1960. (ok, so I’m exaggerating about the hearts. I honestly don’t remember him from those years, but he claims to remember me…)

Then one hot, summer night in 1969 our eyes met across a crowded dance floor. My heart fluttered. He flexed his muscles underneath the white “Fonzy” type t-shirt (Fruit of the Loom with the sleeves rolled up). He sauntered over to me and asked me to dance. Me! Little ol’ wallflower me! I shyly let him lead me out onto the dance floor, feeling like Cinderella in my mushroom print blouse (I’m not kidding here – I swear it was a mushroom print), navy blue culottes (that is what we called them in the good ol’ days) and glass slippers (they might have actually have been white sandals). We danced the night way as my best friend glared a hole in my back (she thought he was going to ask her to dance).

He called me for a date the next day. My overly protective mom and dad were not too happy that I was going out with this boy who turned up out of nowhere. They were even less happy when he turned up in a “sports car” – a 1961 (I think) Karmann Ghia(I swear I have to get a picture of that car scanned!). But go I did. We saw the original Herbie Love Bug movie.

After that night we were pretty much inseparable. We tried dating others a couple of times during our Senior year of high school but always ended back together. We even separated for a long period of three months after we had been dating for awhile. But somehow, we just couldn’t stay away from each other. On June 17, 1972 we said “I do”. And now, 37 years later, we still do.

family 1980

I love you Jim. Thank you for a wonderful life and especially for our three wonderful children.

14 comments:

Intense Guy said...

May you enjoy the absolute happiest of anniversaries today.

:) The story of how you two met is so sweet it could be put in a Disney movie.

Betty said...

Happy Anniversary. Have fun.

Karla said...

What a wonderful blog today Punkn. You and Jim must be soulmates to have these wonderful memories. Happy Anniversary and here's to 37 more!

AliceKay said...

What a wonderful story. Happy Anniversay to you and Jim, and may you two have many more years together. *hugs*

The Wife O Riley said...

Happy Anniversary! That is a truly lovely story. Matt and I met in High School too.

sexy41 said...

Happy Anniversay to you both. Wishing you many many more of them.

junyah said...

A Very Happy Anniversarie to You.I hope you both have a wounderfull life. MY wife and i found out tonight we got the loan for the house. We havea new house.. WooooHooo......

LadyStyx said...

Happy Anniversary!!

Lainie said...

Happy Anniversary Deanna! What an accomplishment. Kindergarten sweethearts way beats high school sweethearts by a mile! I think you definitely found your soulmate.
I hope you had a wonderful and romantic day!

Toriz said...

This is slightly belated, but... Happy anniversary! :)

Queenie Jeannie said...

AHHHHHH!

Happy Anniversary!! I love romantic love stories!!!!!

jewelzmomof4 said...

Mom I have heard that story a few times and I find myself sitting here crying because I have such GREAT parents and had such a wonderful childhood. You and Dad are such an inspiration to me and Doug I pray we are as happy as you and dad when we hit 37 years. I LOVE YOU BOTH!! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY

Jan Holt said...

Congratulations on such a wonderful story, marriage, and anniversary. I'm so glad you guys found each other again after the Tinker Toy years.

Hope you have another wonderful 37 years ahead.

;-)

Jan

MarmiteToasty said...

goodness 37 years, so very special..... happy anniversary... a beautiful post....

x