Saturday, June 27, 2009

Rainbows and a ride

Austin and I are “baching” it.  Just the two of us.  Jim is camping with his buddies and Julie and her family are doing outside in the heat Bar B Qing today.  Austin is just getting over the croup and I’m still recovering from stuff, so we decided the two of us would hang out together last night and today.

I got a little nervous last night at bath time.  We unloaded Austin’s bags…  One night?

A bed full of clothes that Austin had packed

Surely there is enough clothes packed for at least a week, wouldn’t you say?

Austin with a surprized look on his face

When I asked Austin what was up, I got this rather suspicious look…. hmmmmm

One of the last things he asked for before he fell asleep last night was for me to show him the rainbows.  It always makes me feel good when I can do what my sweet grandkids ask, but this was one wish I couldn’t grant last night.

 

A prism

This is my rainbow maker and no amount of coaxing was going to get it to work in the dark.

Windows of prisms

There are prisms hanging all along these windows.  Fifteen of them.  Some belong to me and some belong to my kids, but they haven’t taken them to their homes yet.  The grandkids love seeing the rainbow of colors dance around the room as the sun shines through the prisms.  And that is exactly why I couldn’t give Austin his rainbow last night.  He finally accepted the sad truth and slumbered for the night, knowing the first thing in the morning, we would do the prism dance.

Austin twirling a prism

And here we go, starting the prism twirl.  The sun was cooperating marvelously!!!!!

Coneflowers

Little man and I decided we needed to go for a ride on our 4-wheeler before it got too hot.  On the way to the garage we passed my cone flowers and of course I had to snap a picture.

Austin and Deanna's feet

My 4-wheeler has a manual clutch, which isn’t too bad, except I don’t have a lot of strength in my legs/feet and have trouble kicking up on it to get it from gear to gear.  Today was even more of a challenge with the help of little feet counteracting my every effort.

Deanna

We had to laugh at my first effort of taking a picture of us.  Austin seemed to think I was supposed to get him in the picture too!

Deanna and Austin

Ok, this is better.

Austin lookiing at a sheep

Our first stop was to say Howdy to the rams in the upper pasture. 

Our dog Radar

Then we headed down to the lower pasture to check on Radar (we gave him a treat) and the rest of the sheep and lambs.  The lambs are almost as big as the mama’s at this point.

sheep in the shade

Who says sheep are dumb.  They are in the shade and they are at the water.  What’s dumb about that?

chicory along the roadside

Then up the road we go to check on the mail.  Isn’t the chicory along the side of the road beautiful.  It attracts gorgeous bright yellow and blue finches.

stop sign and mailbox

STOP!  So we did.

Austin on the 4-wheeler

austin on a slide

Back at the ranch, we stopped to play in the shadows of the shade trees.

Austin hanging by a rope

I wish I could do that….

Austin swinging

Hey Austin, swing quick – it’s starting to get hot out here.

Austin walking back to the house

Heading back to the cool air of the house…

Austin watching cartoons                   

Ahhh, this is more like it. 

And it is only 10:00 in the morning… now what?

13 comments:

AliceKay said...

Really great pics. Looks like you and Austin are having lots of fun together. :) I'm glad the two of you are feeling better.

Karen and Ryan were just here for a short visit. She was showing me how to work a few things on the computer. Ryan had his big grins for me again today, too. :)

I hope the rest of your weekend is a good one. *hugs*

MarmiteToasty said...

What a loverly morning you both had, wish I was there with you...

wonderful photos.... truely loverly...

x

jewelzmomof4 said...

Well it looks like you two had a great day. Thank you so much for letting him spend the day with you. I LOVE the picture of the two of you. It looks like my little man is not little anymore.

Toriz said...

Sounds like a lovely way to start the day. Hope you enjoyed the rest of the day too. :)

Deanna said...

((((AK))))) aren't those grins great! I sent Austin home this mornning. I'm pooped!
(((((Marmie))))) Wish you were here with us too. I'd be pampering you and giving you 4-wheeler rides - well maybe not. A bit bumpy for you yet. Hope you are getting along better.
(((((Jewelz))))) Thanks for sharing the little bugger with me. There is never a boring moment when he is around. We "played pool" last night, which means we rolled the balls into each other to put them in the pockets.
(((((Tori))))) We had fun all day long. It's always good when the grandkids come to play.

Karla said...

I love those purple flowers...and looks like you and Travis had a wonderful morning. Hope he's not grounded anymore :-) and you talked me into calling my doctor..will call him in the morning and will let you all know what he says

Queenie Jeannie said...

If I EVER figure out where you live, I'm coming over and NEVER leaving!!! Just sayin.

Lovely post. You are most likely the world's best Grandma!

Intense Guy said...

Awww... I bet that Austin remember this special weekend with his grandmom for the rest of his life.

The picture of the two of you makes me smile and the one of his "Umm.. whad..whadd... whads up?" expression is a laugh.

My favorite is the one labeled "Heading back to the cool air of the house" - Austin looks like a confident, well-centered little man in how he walks. I hope this is the case he probably gets a little crowded mixed in with his other brothers.

I hope your rainbow makers are sparkling today Deanna. Hugs.

Deanna said...

Awwwww thank you (((((Jeannie))))). You and the Bella would fit right in. (not too sure about Thomas, though. We'd have to whip him into shape ;)

((((Karla)))) I'm so glad you are your calling your Dr. No sense suffering hun. Travis is semi-ungrounded but he doesn't have his computer rights back (silly kid). I love my cone flowers too :)

((((Iggy))))I love gotcha look on his face. Those big brown eyes kill me. He is a confident little guy for being so small and the youngest of four. He's definitely a keeper.

Anonymous said...

Haha! 'and it's only 10:00 in the morning', I know that feeling! I'm a nanny for 4 kids and I come home exhausted every day!

Deanna said...

((((Yaya)))) thanks for stopping by! And you look so sane...

I loved your blog, by the way.

LadyStyx said...

Oooh. Im hitchin a ride with Jeannie! I think I'll bring ranger too...he's great with kids.

Deanna said...

((((styxie))))) just so ranger knows i'll put him to work ...
(you and me - we'll sit back and sip lemonaide)