Friday, June 5, 2009

Charlie comes to my house

We have a squirrel bird feeder right outside our kitchen window.  It has been hanging there nine months or so.  It was fun to watch all sorts of birds as we’d eat our meals all winter and into the Spring. 

There are quite a few bird feeders around our place, but the squirrels have never bothered them.  That’s probably because there are enough acorns, walnuts, etc. to keep them happy.

All of that changed last night.  Jim noticed him first.  Isn’t he cute?  A baby Charlie!

Photo of a baby squirrel sitting in a bird feeder

I was afraid I would spook him, so I first took his picture with the blinds down. 

 045  He didn’t seem to mind, so I pulled the blinds up to get a better shot – and he kept right on snacking.

052  

I crept closer… He really didn’t care - he was cleaning up the old feed (see the grass growing in it) and couldn’t be bothered with us at all.

053

I was so close when I took this picture that the lens of the camera hit the window glass.  He didn’t even flinch… the little piggy squirrel kept right on eating.

056

Closer still…

060

Charlie finally had a full belly and sauntered off into the sunset.  Silly squirrel…

12 comments:

Intense Guy said...

But...but...but...but... I've been trying for years to get a nice picture and ...look at these!!

Wow! What a cute little guy (girl?)

Now aren't you glad you put the memory card in the camera? :)

sexy41 said...

Wow those are fantastic pictures. He/She is so cute to.

AliceKay said...

Good job! Really great pics. I took some pics of a Charlie this afternoon before I left for town, but nothing that close up. (Iggy is really jealous now)

Karla said...

Great photo shoot! He sure is a cute lil thing. Now it's Iggy's turn to get some good pictures of a charlie!

jewelzmomof4 said...

Ok I guess I am behind here but why are you all calling him a charlie. Love tha pics mom I wish I could get half as good a pics as you. Those are amazing.

Deanna said...

LOL Iggy I knew you'd have to question his/her gender. Once again I did not check to make sure...

It is truly amazing how much better the camera works with a memory card in it ;)

And YOU! You got some good Charlie pictures already! And yours was taken right outside with the squirrel - rather than hidden behind a window like I was!

He/she is cute, isn't HE Sexy... LOL

I'm looking forward to seeing your Charlie pictures AK. I'll bet you were outside with them like Iggy. I do things the sneaky way

He is cute, isn't he Karla

LOL Jewelz. We've kinda had a squirrel thing on this blog. One of these day when you are bored, check on the Squirrel Chronicle link on my blog.

I think it was Chicagolady who dubbed the squirrels as Charlie's and somehow it stuck.

Queenie Jeannie said...

I love squirrels!! I had a pet one when I was just a little older than Bella. Great pics!!!!

(I think you made Iggy jealous, lol!)

junyah said...

when your getting a free meal what do you care if somebody wants your picture while you eat.. lol. i feed them here, thing is .. how am i going to breack it to them im moveing.?? maybe they have reailtives where we'er moveing too,.....I know.....i can leave them the forwarding address..

Deanna said...

Queenie had a pet squirrel? Wow, now I'm the jealous one!

LOL JR. Just crate them up and move them with you.... or leaving a forwarding address will work...
I'll bet you are getting excited about moving into your house!

LadyStyx said...

Very awesome pictures. I wish mine turned out so well!

Lainie said...

He's a cutie. Looks like a red squirrel to me. If I am right, he probably won't get much bigger. Except maybe his belly. LOL

Toriz said...

Those are my favourite kinds of visitors... Ones that clean up before they go. I mean, now you don't have to clear out all the old feed. ;)