Saturday, July 11, 2009

Small Town Fun

Prairie Home, Missouri – Population 227


On the nights of the Fair – Population 228 (just kidding)





Ferris Wheel and Prairie Home tower

Our son and his family live in the little town of Prairie Home, Missouri and this is fair week. So we grabbed a couple of the grandkids (Austin and Dakota) and headed down the road to the Prairie Home Fair.



Cotton Candy Sign


We’re talking Corn Dogs, Funnel Cakes, Cotton Candy and all the dirt you’d ever want to deal with.







Austin on Merry Go Round Horse




This black stallion and Austin are both giving me the stink eye.





Austin & Dakota on Dragon Ride



Into the bowels of a fire eating dragon we go.




Dragon Ride


This is one of those go round and round til you puke rides. I think the boys rode it at least a dozen times.



Dakota and Austin on Motorcycle ride



More circle rides. I’m glad young bellies are stronger than old(er) ones like mine!



James and Austin hanging out

We finally met up with a few of the other grandkids. Austin and James are hanging out at the viewing stands waiting for the 4-Wheeler competition (yes, you heard me right – 4 wheeler competition.)



Reagan scowling

Reagan really is having fun, but someone just tried to take her cotton candy from her and we all know you DO NOT mess with a girls cotton candy…



The kids waiting for the 4-wheeler event to start

Dakota, Anna and Austin anxiously awaiting for Allen to compete.




And there he is! Allen Haslag! Number 7, taking his 4-wheeler through the paces. They were an hour and 1/2 late in getting this competition going and it was too dark for my little camera flash to reach to the track. Allen was in the 7 and under class of the competition.


(photos lightened compliments of LadyStyx - thanks Styxie!)



They took turns driving around these OCHA’s, who patiently stood in their assigned places, as fast as they could. Then someone would show the OCHA’s where to move to and they’d take turns going through the paces again. I think Allen took third in his class but don’t know for sure because we HAD to get back to the rides!


Ferris Wheel



Life was not going to be worth living if Dakota and Anna didn’t get to ride on the Ferris wheel but they were too young to ride alone. Finally after much begging, I agreed to buy tickets (5 for the Ferris wheel at $1 each!) and go with them. We waited in line… and waited… and waited… and waited… What is the hold up? They were taking people off and putting people on, but they sure were moving slow. One more group to go and then us! Yea!


What are these gypsies doing arguing? One says it is fine. The other says no way! Then the guy who operates the Ferris wheel throws down his hat, climbs out of the magic control box and stomps off. Sorry folks, the ride is closed!

What! (the kids say) and whew (I say) … I didn’t really want to go on the ride but was being the good grandma. We could have been stuck at the top of that thing! And believe me it took them forever to get everyone off – I kept an eye on it. The Ferris wheel was down for the count.


Anna and Dakota on F


Back to the boring ol’ Merry Go Round. That works for us just fine.


033


$15 for each one of those hot pink arm bands that let you ride til you are sick.


$5 for a Ferris Wheel ticket I couldn’t use.

$2 each for countless hot dogs.

$2 each for countless sodas.

$2 each for countless cotton candy.

Worn out for the ride home – Priceless!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a fun day-great pics!

LadyStyx said...

Looks like fun! That stink-eye look was priceless!!

AliceKay said...

Aww...what great pics! An exciting day for everyone.

I will never ride another ferris wheel after an experience I had at a festival when my kids were young. Will tell you about it sometime. (drunks dont make good ferris wheel operators)

I really loved the pics.

Travis Erwin said...

Great. Now I'm craving a corndog.

The Wife O Riley said...

I love those fairs!!! I can eat Elephant Ears until I puke!

MarmiteToasty said...

What a fun time........ but my god, things are so cheap over there....... a ride on the bigwheel over here is at least $4 and hotdogs are $4 and CandyFloss or cotton candy as you lot call it lol is about $5 on a stick.....

great photos though.... me thinks I need to move to america to get more for me money lol

x

Toriz said...

Sounds like everyone had fun. :)

Jan Holt said...

That was so much fun to be a part of your fair day! Thanks for inviting us along. Those were some mighty cute kids too...

I want the cotton candy now too!

Intense Guy said...

Ooh, I'd love to have a bit of Funnel Cake.

:) at Reagan, nope, you just don't mess with a girl's cotton candy! LOL! What a face.

Oh those brave, brave OCHAs... just standing there in the face of high speed danger. Go Speed Haslag! Go Speed Haslag! Go Speed Haslag Gooooooooooooooo!

By the way, the Carny Town News says all the GIBSON AMUSEMENTS rides are going to the Cooper County Youth Fair in Boonville, MO next.

So you might get on the Ferris Wheel yet...

Funny in My Mind said...

our fair was this week too! Thank goodness I was able to miss it, ha ha

jewelzmomof4 said...

I love those pictures mom. You take some of the cutest photos of them. I love them all but the last one is the best. LOL They have told everyone about it.

Queenie Jeannie said...

Loved it!!! What a great Grandma you are!!!!