Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Vulcan greeting my style

Sometimes a girl just needs something to brighten up her day.  These pretty sandals are just the ticket.  Jim and I were looking for a cabinet for our bathroom remodel job at a boutique-like store and just as we were ready to leave, I spotted this pair of sandals.  I don’t think anybody would argue that they are practical, and most likely they won’t be very comfortable with all the beading, but they are flashy and just what I needed.  Plus they were my size and on sale for only $11!!!!  Mark ‘em sold!  Aren’t they pretty?  Ok the few guys who read this blog, quit rolling your eyes.  I like them.

  

brightly colored beaded sandals

About 13 years ago I had both my feet operated on.  The surgeon removed a bunion on my right foot and did a joint replacement on the big toe of my left foot.  As painful as it was to have both feet repaired and replaced at the same time, I have always been thankful I did.  It literally gave me my life back in terms of being able to walk.  I was to the point where I could hardly wear anything other than wide “old lady” shoes without great pain and my feet were so ugly I certainly didn’t even consider wearing sandals.   Once I was back on my feet (so to speak) I became a shoeaholic.  I could wear just about any kind of shoe again!  And I was pain free!!!! 

 

I’ve notice, though, years after the surgery, that I have an unfortunate side effect.  The big toe new joint foot has slowly but surely become a little strange.  Ok, a lot strange.  

mr_spock giving the vulcan spread finger greeting

Who wouldn’t recognize Spock and the Vulcan “Live Long and Prosper” sign? 

my feet with a wide spread between the second and third toe

If we ever meet and I’m wearing sandals, you will immediately notice my own version of the Vulcan sign.

May we all live long and prosper!

14 comments:

junyah said...

Reminds me of my father showing me his big toe,seems that back when he was just a youngen, he was choping wood one day and used his foot to hold the wood while he split it. Split it he did only a little to hard, the axe went though his shoe and cut his big toe in half.It looked funny when he showed me, but i think i can still feel the pain that had to go with that adventure..

AliceKay said...

Hey, you are the original Vulcan of Missouri!

All kidding aside...do your feet hurt now or are they okay? My mom had toe surgery quite a few years ago to fix a hammer toe and she's had nothing but pain and a terrible looking foot ever since. Bad feet runs in my family...along with soft teeth, arthritis, bad backs and migraines. Lucky, ain't we? (it could be worse tho)

Ouch, JR.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, a spock foot, priceless!

Love your french pedi you're rocking!

Those sandals are super cute! Gotta love a great sale!

Intense Guy said...

Geepers JunYah... now thats a visual I don't need... LOL!

Deanna, you should consider yourself most fortunate! Not everyone can even do the Vulcan umm... wave? salute? sign? greeting? whachamacallit with their hands let alone with their feet!

Your feet look really nice! you are definitely a sexy ankle award winner.

p.s., I wonder if anyone besides me took off their shoe(s) to see if they could make their toes do that? And no... I couldn't do it.

But.. may you live long and prosper!

Akum said...

So sad to hear about that. The sandal looks dazzling. I guess i should not share my wise thoughts, especially when i comes to women sandals. The sandal looks nice on you,...

Deanna said...

(((Junyah))) at least I was out when they chopped on my toes! Can you say ouch!!!!!
(((AK))) I've heard many horror stories about foot surgery. Fortunately I was one of the lucky ones. My feet are pain free I and can walk anywhere now. Does anything good run in your family?
(((Yaya))) I think the french pedi is what caught my grandson's eye. He's the one that pointed out to me that I have a spock foot. Kids!
(((Iggy))) LOL I can just see you sitting there barefoot trying to make your toes spread apart. My fingers don't cooperate nearly as easy as my toes do.
(((A.K.))) Nice to see you again and thank you :)

LadyStyx said...

Can't do it with my feet but I'm bilingual and can do it with both hands....does that count?

For the longest time I refused to go without socks at all because I had this ugly...ummm...embarrassing problem on both of my big toe nails. With no way of having to deal with it at the time, I let it set for years. A few years back, I had surgery to have both problems corrected (they had to put me OUT to do it...not sure if I shared that story in Blogger or not...I think I did). Ohhh did it ever hurt. But now? Im pain free and unless Im going to be out shopping or on my bike, I'm in my open-toe slippers (which were originally gotten because regular slippers hurt the toes).

I was tellin my GaSis last night (when she was complaining about how she misses her shoes...) that I must have missed that characteristic of the X Chromosome because I hate shoes and would much rather run barefoot all the time! No, not because I think my feet are cute, quite the opposite in fact, but because it's comfier for me.

Deanna said...

(((Styxie))) Don't you mean bifingeal? If I concentrate real hard my left hand will cooperate. The only way I can do that with my right hand is to pry the fingers apart!

I hear you about the pain of any kind of foot surgery. That is why I am glad I had both feet done at the same time. I don't think I would have been brave enough to go back.

Why is Ga(sis) missing her shoes? She can't wear any? *scratching my head*

I used to always go barefoot but sandals is the way to go now-a-days.

Queenie Jeannie said...

lol! Oh well, pain free is what matters and being unique is just a plus! Cute shoes.

Thomas may be leaving for Iraq soon......again...

Karla said...

I feel for you on the "old lady shoes" I can only wear house slippers..nothing can be on top of my foot unless it's soft and weightless..*sigh* been this way for so many years! And the ortho says "well I can operate but it won't change the pain or anything" so why do it.

Cute sandles..I'm jealous!

Deanna said...

(((Queenie))) You are the Queen of unique - and I mean that in a good way. I will keep you and Thomas in my prayers and gratefully thank him for what he is doing for me and our country.

Funny in My Mind said...

Love them!! Love them so much!!

Toriz said...

As long as you like the sandals, that's all that matters.

I don't like my feet, but I stay barefoot or in either flat bottomed sandals (I don't do heals) or light weight shoes or slippers, because I feel more comfortable without stuff on my feet. And if there's any weight to the shoe I drag my feet and don't walk properly. Mam tried buying sturdy shoes for me, but the one time I wore them I ended up tripping constantly because of not picking my feet up properly, so she let me give them to my brother (who's the same shoe size as me, but likes "sturdy shoes" as Mam calls them). Shoes last me longer if they're light weight, because I pick my feet up better (as I think I mentioned the other day when I brought my new shoes).

Size 13 shoes said...

Excellent site, It was pleasant to me. I would love to visit it again