Saturday, July 18, 2009

Tea time

I am likely to ramble a bit in this post.  So maybe grab a cup of hot tea, coffee, iced tea, soda…  I mentioned in my previous blog that I’ve been drinking a lot of hot tea lately.  It is strange how multiple events come together to change things. 

To explain why I’m drinking more tea, I have to back track to our Cruise last January.

IMG_1433

One of our ports of call was Tortola, British Virgin Isles.

View of Tortola from the ship

Tortola is a scenic Island and everyone was very friendly.  It was one of the few ports where I actually bought anything. 

shop entrance

Their shops carried out of the ordinary, interesting things.  This is the little shop where we bought most of our souvenirs.

Colorful metal mermaid fish

This little metal mermaid fish was hand crafted out of discarded oil drums.  She hangs on my kitchen wall and I smile and remember the good times we had every time I look at her.

jar of tea leaves

The same little shop sold tea leaves.  They were sampling Sunny Caribbee Tea the day we visited.  Its ingredients include Mango, Passion Fruit, Rum (non alcoholic) and Lemon and Orange peel spice.  I think it is a soothing tea.  When dad was too ill to eat or drink much of anything I would fix him a cup of this tea.  He loved it. 

So, the tea brought back from our cruise is the first reason I’ve been drinking a lot of hot tea.

019

The second reason for my new tea passion is this little tea pot.  As we were going through the many boxes of things Jim’s mom had accumulated over the years we happened onto this little tea pot.  Isn’t it great? 

  021The basket with the tea leaves fits inside the teapot.

022

The other basket fits on top of the tea leaf basket.  Pour the hot water in, watch is slowly drip through and wala! the perfect pot of tea.

tea pot and china tea cup

The other treasure that sweetens this tea passion of mine is a tea cup from the set of china I inherited from my mom.  The flowers of the tea pot and china may not  match, but to me they are perfection!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Punkn. I'm not a girly girl by no means, but I do love the dainty tea cups with flowers and gold trim on the edges. I bought a bunch at an estate sale one day, just don't have a place to display them yet. I drink alot of iced tea, but I don't drink hot tea much unless I'm sick. My version of hot tea has milk and sugar in it. I'm told it's the English way.

Anonymous said...

Mmm I love tea!

Karla said...

I absolutely adore that teapot..And I think the find was so nice for you :-)...I don't like tea..at all..but I do love teapots! Enjoy your tea and your memories :-)

Intense Guy said...

Wow - you captured a bit of that azure Tortola sunshine and the neat paint job of the store with the things you brought home like the mermaid fish.

I hope you drink you hot tea simply for the sheer pleasure these days.

AliceKay said...

Perfection....the photos of the scenery there, the little mermaid hanging on your wall, your mom's tea pot, and the beautiful china. What wonderful memories you have there.

Terri and I were given a very nice china set (12 place settings with the works) for a wedding gift from my great aunt who lived in Florida. They made the trip up on Eastern Airlines without one being broken or chipped so she had them packed pretty good. I have no place to keep them here at my place so they're packed up in boxes in my grandmother's attic...the house where Brian and Angela now live just down the driveway from me.

Betty said...

I love that teapot! My grandparents (both Brits) had tea six times a day, and every time I have hot tea, I think of them.

Toriz said...

Wow! A proper tea pot! Haven't seen one of them in years!

I don't think people need rreasons to drink hot tea. Tea is always a good thing in my opinion. Speaking of which, I could do with a cup (especially after reading this post). I think I'll go put the kettle on. :)

MarmiteToasty said...

Steam hot tea, milk, no sugar is the only way to go :)

x

MarmiteToasty said...

Steam = steaming

x

Jan Holt said...

Deanna,

Tea is so much more than a beverage. My Aussie hubbie loves the soothing ritual of making the tea just as much as the sipping. I love your teapot and cups too! Keep on savoring the tea and the memories dear friend.

ChicagoLady said...

I love finding souvenirs in little local shops like that. The personality of the store is what makes me want to spend my money there. Such a cute fish to remind you of Tortola.

Queenie Jeannie said...

I sooo love tea too! I'm hoping for some loose tea and a teapot for Christmas!!

The Wife O Riley said...

That looks and sound wonderful! I love the fish too.

LadyStyx said...

My mom used to have a pot like that. It was blue and white with gold trim. With the way the both of us would go through tea (we're avid drinkers), that pot would be refilled at least 2-3 times.

Funny in My Mind said...

That is a gorgeous cup and saucer! I believe that coffee and tea tastes better when sipped from a beautiful cup.