Sunday, February 22, 2009

Chamois Treasures

With Jim's mom in a home, we are faced with the task of dismantling her life treasures and pass them on to future generations who will hopefully love and cherish what they stand for. The process so far has been that Jim and his brother, Tracy, took inventory of the large items and things they knew might hold special memories. We then sent that list to their sister, Sandy, who is in Indiana, and to our children. We are hoping within the next month or so Jim, Sandy and Tracy will be able to go through the house taking turns choosing items they want to treasure for years to come.

We went to Chamois with our three children so they could tell us what treasures they want us to keep for them. It is amazing the memories that they held special. All three want the cheapest candy dish ever. They remember sneaking candy from it when Grandma wasn't looking. Julie wants a painted wooden footstool with an ugly decal on top of it. This was her time out stool. They all want the Navy picture of Grandpa and Grandma's engagement picture. That, of course, is to be expected. It was such a special evening for us going from room to room, each of us sharing a special memory.

At least now when it is our time to make our choices, we will know what to choose. The next step will then be for our children to take turns choosing which treasure to take home to their own homes to caretake for their children.
Here are a few of the items I did bring home with me last night. (And no, I'm not one of those who is sneaking things out before anyone else gets a chance. Everyone knows I have these things.)



The religious picture was the find of the night. We found it in a damp corner of the dark basement. It is very moldy smelling and I almost didn't retrieve it. After wiping the glass clean I was amazed to find Grandma Lizzie's (Jim's dad's mom) First Communion Certificate dated 1902 and written in German. It is actually in amazing good condition, considering how it was treated. The photo album holds images of generations of the family. Aunt Marthy (Jim's Great Aunt) crocheted the pin cushions. The scrap book was another find. It holds art work of Jim's dad and uncles. The baby shoes were a mystery until I turned them over and found a faint SH written on the sole. They will be mailed to Sandy tomorrow. And the cute baby? That just happens to be one of the few photos of Jim when he was a little boy. Trust me, it will be preserved.

I wish I had thought to bring my camera with me and take other pictures, but oh well!

16 comments:

LadyStyx said...

Awesome finds! So how are you going to break the ties on the items that EVERYONE seems to want?

The Wife O Riley said...

After my grandmother died, my sister and I fought over her sit under hair dryer. We both had memories of either sitting under it to dry our hair or sitting in the room while Grandma dried her hair.

Deanna said...

They will draw straws and take turns choosing, Styxie. They will have to prioritize what they want and accept when they don't get everything they do want.

LOL Wifey I can believe that. I swear that $1.99 candy dish is going to get chosen first.

ChicagoLady said...

I think that's great how you're doing it. Too many times family fights over things, and bitterness is left, not the memories that are intended by the keepsakes.

AliceKay said...

I left a comment and it got eaten or something. I'll come back and comment later today whenever I get home, just in case the comment shows up in the meantime. (what the heck is a duplication error??)

Anonymous said...

Love the communion certificate... I have my father's from the early 1940's and it's just lovely... they just don't make them like that anymore, do they?

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Deanna said...

LOL AK don't you hate it when that happens... (I don't think I've ever seen that error)

You're right Di, they don't make them like that anymore. I happen to be the one who makes the certificates at our church and it is words printed on a piece of paper and an embossed gold seal slapped on it. Shameful!

Karla said...

wow! I love going through old thigs! And when it's family related it's even more special. I have my mothers cedar chest and it has a rouge compact in it that my Dad bought her from Guam in WWII. even have an two WWII ration books! and all the letters he wrote her from the Phillipines.

the pictures...you can have copies made but it's not the same as the original! But I'm sure you will work it out!

Unknown said...

WOW! Greta find with that First Communion Certificate! That's awesome!

After my dad past away, my sister and I had the task of what you guys are going through now.

It's hard to pick and chose what to keep and what to let go of.

Good luck!

PS: "Duplication Error". That's sounds like a horror movie about twins that go on a 3 state killing spree! LOL!

AliceKay said...

What I said this morning that was so rudely stricken away was....what a wonderful family you have there to have such compassion between each other. I know a few families who would "fight" over the least little thing and make difficult decisions that much more difficult. What great treasures you have there...both material and spiritual.

(okay..this isn't exactly what i said this morning but it's been a long day and it's close enough. LOL)

Toriz said...

It's wonderful that everyone is so co-operative, and that everyone will have a chance to have at least one thing to treasure.

Deanna said...

Karla, my mom had an old rouge compact among her things too. I wish I knew the story behind it. It is in my china cabinet now. And you have letters? How special is that!
Ak, I hope the compassion lasts... we haven't made it through the process yet - we've just agreed on it. But we mostly do get along, so hopefully this is going to work out.
It was a great find, Matt. You are way too young to have had to go through this already - hugz
Tori, we all deserve a treasure, don't we? We have many boxes of things that we have not touched yet. Hard to say what we'll find.

MarmiteToasty said...

oh my this post has me in tears....... I love old family history stuff.... photos and things..... not that I have any, but its cos I would so love to....... I only have a doll that I had when I was 4 and but about 10 old photos of me as a child, which I found in the dustbin when my parents split up, they gave my siblings all the photos that they themselves were in, but cos they didnt like me, they binned me LOL..... lucky I had a feeling they would and I sneaked around the back of the house and managed to save a few, the rest were covered in scrappings and were of no use....

I think all the above is why I try and keep as much as I can for my lads..... so they have the beginning of their family history with us....

Maybe that is also why I love old junkie antique shops filled with peoples treasures that their families didnt want.....

Im glad you lot value all your family history and will keep it all.....

*sniff*....

x

Deanna said...

Huggsssssss Mel. No child should be treated like you were. Shame on your parents!!!! Personally I can't imagine anyone not liking you (well, except maybe your twat neighbor, lol). I do so treasure the history our parents have preserved for us and will do everything I can to pass it on to our future generations.

Intense Guy said...

I had to smile softly at the mention of the candy dish. I bet she somehow knew each time someone slipped a peice of candy from the bowl...

A memory came to me unbidden of my Grandmother's old wooden hutch - it was handmade by her Uncle for a wedding present. Its Pine and made from rough cut boards and the legs are uneven and it wobbles... the doors on the front do not stay latched as they weren't fitted properly. It sat behind my grandmother favorite chair in her dining room for decades... and now it sits in my dining room, unchanged excepted it no longer has her so familar and somehow comforting clutter of papers and odds and ends on it. Rough and ill fitting as it is... it is a treasure I'll never part with.

Deanna said...

ahhhhh Iggy a post on that would be very very special...