Friday, February 6, 2009

Polyanna

It seems many of us have the winter blahs for various reasons. Maybe the cold weather and lack of sunlight is doing it, or injuries not quite healed. Many of us have ongoing health gotchas that wear us down. Mostly I'm a Polyanna type of person. There is always a bright side. Things could always be worse than they are. The times when I do feel sorry for myself, I just find I feel worse, rather than better - but sometimes it just can't be helped! You would think having just returned from an awesome vacation, I'd be fresh and ready to go. Well I was... but the backlog of work and pains from ongoing problems (Lupus and arthritis) has already gotten me down. I've actually been too tired to organize my thoughts and post vacation pictures. But I will get that done eventually - I promise!

I received this in the mail and it was so timely that I want to share. Most of you have probably seen it before (I had) but bear with me (please...):

I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.
I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights.
I've learned that regardless of your relationship with your parents, you'll miss them when they're gone from your life.'
I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same thing as 'making a life.
I've learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance.
I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back.
I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision.
I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one.
I've learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back.
I've learned that I still have a lot to learn.
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

These thoughts to live by are from Maya Angelou. According to her official website Maya is:
Dr. Maya Angelou is a remarkable Renaissance woman who is hailed as one of the great voices of contemporary literature. As a poet, educator, historian, best-selling author, actress, playwright, civil-rights activist, producer and director, she continues to travel the world, spreading her legendary wisdom. Within the rhythm of her poetry and elegance of her prose lies Angelou's unique power to help readers of every orientation span the lines of race and Angelou captivates audiences through the vigor and sheer beauty of her words and lyrics.

No matter what, I am going to find a smile and kind word for every one I see. Huggssss and have a GREAT! weekend!

11 comments:

Toriz said...

I'd seen that before, but never knew who wrote it.

Hope you can find that smile. :) *Hugs*

Anonymous said...

Hi Punkn.... Di, the Blue Ridge Gal here... can you please send me your e-mail address so I can answer a question you asked on my blog?

theblueridgegal@gmail.com
or
deedah@comcast.net

Thanks!
Di

ChicagoLady said...

We'll wait patiently for you to post your vacation pictures. Do it when you feel up to it and have the time. We're not going anywhere.

I'm hoping tomorrow I will feel better, if only for the day, with some warmer temperatures. I can open the windows and doors and get some fresh air in here. Maybe go for a short walk, just something to clear my mind of some things I've been mulling over the last couple days.

I've seen that email before with the advice from Maya Angelou, and I love reading it every time. Thanks for posting it for all of us!

Gentle Hugs!

AliceKay said...

*sends a hug to Punkn*

Hang in there!

The Wife O Riley said...

That is a wonderful post!

Unknown said...

Great post as always!

I know what you mean. It's the whole "winter blahs" thing.

It went all the way up to 54 degrees F here in Chicago today.

I've never seen so much traffic out on a Saturday in a LONG time!

It's like people came out of some sort of hibernation and just needed to get outside and go for a "drive"! Anything to get out of the house. People were actually wearing shorts today! (Desperate much?) LOL!

Karla said...

beautiful words of wisdom to live by...I need a copy of that to post on my wall and read it every morning!

*hugs*

junyah said...

Sounds like Punkn has her head in the right place. Great Blog punkies. Hey i finely got a new blog writen myself and a bunch of new pictures of the boat and progress. Hugs ya.. JR

Lainie said...

We can all relate Punkn, no worries. As ChicagoLady said, we aren't going anywhere. Do what you gotta do to get through the day, but here's a hug in case you need one.

Intense Guy said...

Some mental food to ponder - I've heard Dr. Maya Angelou name of course, but never actually read or heard anything she's written or said.

I can see why she has won so much acclaim though.

p.s., sorry I took so long to comment.

LadyStyx said...

*sends a HUGZ n smile to punkn*