Monday, February 16, 2009

The Miracles of Mother Nature

It is a cold, dreary day here in beautiful Missouri. It is the kind of day that makes me want to curl up with a good book in front of the dancing flames of a fire place with a cup of hot tea or cocoa or maybe a glass of wine.

Outside all of my beautiful flowers and bushes look dead. But are they? Every February I start to get the itch to work in the yard. And I despair when I look around at the work that is waiting for me. The oak trees loose some of their leaves in the Fall but the ornrey things hang on to a major number of the leaves until new leaves show up in the Spring. Raking leaves is a way of life in my corner of the world. The last few years we have resorted to blowing the leaves off the drive and walkways in the Fall so people can see where to drive and walk, and have saved the raking of the leaves for Spring.

Is it really possible that all of this brown will explode with color in a few months?


This is one of my herb gardens. This dead looking mess of thyme still releases wonderful scents when I run my hand across the twigs.


This garden bed is such a mess. The ground cover is a combination of perriwinkle and ivy. The perriwinkle is proving to be the stronger of the two and over the years it has slowly taken the ivy over. The miniature roses (the dry twigs you see) have become a "thorn" in my side. They have taken over where I don't want them and yet they are so pretty when they bloom that I haven't the heart to get rid of them. Hmmmm maybe I will try to transplant them this year. What a job that will be! Underneath this mess are my sweet daffodils. I will know the warm days will soon be here when they and the crocuses start peeking out.

Here are some pictures of my gardens that I took last year. Is it really possible that all the dreariness I am looking at right now can explode into all the colors? Amazingly, the answer is YES! And I'll have to admit I am so ready for the beauty of Spring.





8 comments:

AliceKay said...

I'm ready for spring too, Punkn. Beautiful pics of the flowers. :)

LadyStyx said...

Very pretty. Still waitin on winter here....all we've gotten is cold and maybe 2-3" of snow overall all season. *sigh* I can wait for Spring, honestly because it means flowers and grass pollinating....and aggravated allergies..

Ausgrl said...

Very beautiful punkn ty for taking the ribbon

ChicagoLady said...

Stop the torture! Waaaaaaa, I'm getting snow tomorrow, and I want to see some green stuff instead!

Honestly, you do a wonderful job with your garden, though.

Toriz said...

I know... Amazing, isn't it?

Karla said...

Springs just around the corner Punkn..and yes it's gonna be beautiful this summer..colors exploding everywhere...Now if I could just get rid of that climbing rose bush out front and put in some nice american beautys I'd be happy :-)

Queenie Jeannie said...

God is so good!! He can take the brown, ugly, dead stuff and turn it into unbelievable beauty!!! JUST LIKE WITH US!! Thank you for sharing these with us.

And thank you for the good wishes! I know this "bug" won't last forever, even though it feels like it.

MarmiteToasty said...

Isnt it strange how so much can survive the cold and sprout up come spring to give one so much joy...... tiz truely nature at its best....

x