Sunday, March 22, 2009

On the mend

We are on the mend - nature and me. For the first time since last Thursday I have not had a fever.

And look what mother nature has been busy doing while I was getting better. What looked like a bare, dead limb just a few days ago has the slightest beginnings of red buds popping out. Red bud trees amaze me. They grow under canopies of other trees, often bendinig to the wishes of those trees. Then when there is not a leaf yet in sight, tiny little buds pop out of nowhere. I absolutely adore my red bud trees. Within the next week or so the hillsides will be ablaze with them.


A week ago my Jonquils were just buds and now... they sure do make me smile!


I know I've said it often, but I love my herbs. One of my favorites (among many) is Thyme. It is such a faithful, aromatic herb. Every winter it hibernates under a bed of leaves. Each Spring I despair, thinking this will be the year I will need to replant. Replanting is no big deal but somehow it just feels better to see last year's beauty come back to life. Gosh it doesn't look too good yet, does it? But wait...





Here we are close up. See the green? It is coming back to life just like I did today. Yea!




I went to Church this morning (big mistake - I coughed until I had to leave.) The last thing I want to do is share this - whatever it is. Jim had to work, so I cleaned up around here a bit and did a few loads of laundry. It is amazing what doesn't get done when you aren't doing it ;) But now it is time to take it easy. I've done enough for one day. Hmmmm the bird feeders are empty. I know! I'll fill the bird feeder and sit on the porch with my trusty camera and a glass of wine and take pictures!




My son made this ceramic feeder when he was in high school. It is kind of a cool design. The lid lifts up and you can pour the bird seed inside. Then it flows out of the holes on the side. Nice idea but... it doesn't really work.... I still love it though and just pour the seed on the nice wide rim he molded around it.




I am so ready for photos of all my beautiful birds. Nice and comfy, I wait....




And wait....




And wait....




Ahhh well. They have no need for my lousy feed right now. I could hear them singing to me high in the trees. That was almost as good as getting a good picture of one or two of them.

12 comments:

LadyStyx said...

When we were living in Texas, I had a feeder out back. It always took a couple days for the birds to realize the feed was out again. When they DID realize it was there, the feeder would be empty in less than 2 hours. I musta put on a good feed with all the birds that would show up!

Glad to hear ya feelin better!

Karla said...

Good to hear that your feeling better. I'm so glad spring is in the air I really need to go drive out in the country and try to get some good pics of the bluebonnets that are blooming. It would be better if we would get a little rain!!!

ChicagoLady said...

I'm so glad you are feeling better! I finally put seed out for the birds yesterday, after almost 3 weeks without. I was afraid the birds would need several days to find the seed, but they were there today. I had sparrows, and a grackle, and I think a red-winged blackbird, but I couldn't see the wing epulet to be sure. I bet it was nice just sitting outside enjoying the spring air, even if you didn't have any birds at the feeder.

Akum said...

Great Pictures

Intense Guy said...

I'm glad you are feeling better! Nothing like some fresh spring blooms to perk the feelings up huh?

:) I bet you didn't mind waiting, and waiting, and waiting and waiting at all!!

Unknown said...

Happy to hear the news that you are getting back to normal. (That is a good thing, right?) LOL!

Great pictures!

Later Tater ;)

Toriz said...

Glad you're on the mend, and that you're finally seeing evidence of Spring. :)

sexy41 said...

Am glad you are feeling better. Might take a week or so to get rid of the cough. Sure watched that glass of wine getting lower and lower, while you waited. Loved the pictures. Thank you for sharing.

AliceKay said...

Yeah, sexy...I thought that was pretty neat how she did those pics. LOL.

Great pics, Punkn. Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Intense Guy said...

Someone needs to create a sexy ankles award...

Hhmmm....

Deanna said...

Thanks everyone for your comments and well wishes.

The dang hacking cough is still driving me (and everyone else) nutso.

LOL Iggy, those are known as skinny ankles. My Oncologist always checks for swelling and then comments that she would kill for skinny ankles like mine. Wish the rest of me matched the skinny ankles lol ;0

Intense Guy said...

:)

Well I did up an award anyway. It will be out tomorrow morning.