Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Playing Hookey *Shhhhh*

Our son, Greg, called us this morning to see if he could bring his six year old son, Allen, to us for the day. Apparently Allen got up "feeling bad". By the time Greg left him at our doorstep, he was suspicious tht he had been snookered.

Allen was fine until Greg drove past school. Allen made sure to cough so Greg knew he was still sick. No more coughing until Greg asked him if he was sure he was sick.... *cough, cough, cough*. Hmmmmmmmm.

Into Grandma & Grandpa's house he runs and climbs on my lap. And of course I'm lovin' it. I've found once these grandkids start kindergarten, they get too big for lap sitting. So now I'm eating up the whole I'm sick routine. But, I've not heard a single cough. So I ask him if he is sick. "Yea Grandma, I'm sick. *cough, cough, cough*" So I ask him if he wants to play pool. "No, I'd rather play air hockey". Oh yea, we've been so snookered!

He and Grandpa played air hockey, Grandpa gave him some pool lessons (which is ironic because we both suck when it comes to playing pool) and then he and I made a pot holder to take home to mom. And that was just the morning.

I went to work and Grandpa and Grandson went to visit Great Grandma in the nursing home and then ran errands for me.

When we took him home tonight he just wouldn't fess up that he wasn't sick. But I know the truth. Allen needed a day with Grandma and Grandpa and that is a good thing!


11 comments:

LadyStyx said...

yup...definitely snookered. LOL

AliceKay said...

Cute stuff!

Karla said...

What a sweet day!!!! How blessed you are!

Intense Guy said...

Given that "snooker" is a pool table game that was originated by British Army officers stationed in India around 1874 - its ironic you were indeed "snookered" but a really cute grandkid can do that to ya.

Game Info

MarmiteToasty said...

I never use to mind when my lads were little and snookered me into having a day off school just cos they needed time with mum :)

x

rebel said...

EVERYONE needs to play hookey once in a while. It's healthy! AND grandkids need a Grandpa and Grandma fix occasionally. I love it when my granddaughter calls up out of the blue and says "Gandma, can I come over and stay at your house?" You betcha doll baby, anytime!

ChicagoLady said...

Yeah, you been had! But...it's just one day. In the long run it probably won't hurt him any. And it sounds like all three of you had a nice day together.

Lainie said...

I don't know...the boy looked like he was definitely feeling poorly. Nothing like a day with your grandparents to make you feel so much better! :-)

Toriz said...

*Grins* Little monkey!

Better watch you don't let him get away with that too many times though. Otherwise he'll be thinking he can do it as often as he likes.

Deanna said...

Iggy, now that you mention the snooker pool table game, I did know that somewhere deep in the recesses of this lil' brain. That's funny.
Well all, he is only in Kindergarten and this is the first day of school he has missed. I really do think he wanted to spend a day with us!

Toriz said...

It does sound like he did, Punkn. Perhaps you can set aside some time with just him? I know there are a lot of grandkids, but perhaps you can give him an afternoon once a month with just you guys and him? Just a thought.